Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Can I switch PPI to over-the counter 20mg b.i.d.

There are several types of tests for H.pylori. The major ones have a their own forum.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

eliuri

Can I switch PPI to over-the counter 20mg b.i.d.

Post by eliuri »

HI:

I had posted a question last week about Omeprazole, being prescribed by my gastroenerologist one a day at 40 mg.

Was told on this forum it wasnt as good as 20 mg b.i.d., since blood levels go down. But both the pharmacist and my doctor's office said it would have same result. And same success rate. As long as total daily is 40 mg Receptionist at gastro's office said he usually prescribes it like this for H.Pylori to cut down on the number of pills a day--since patients are already taking so many..

My question is: There's over-the -counter product "Prilosec"-- which is brand name for Omeprazole-- which provides 20mg of delayed release tablets. I bought this thinking this might be a way to break it up to 20 mg every 12 hours, as was suggested here.

BUT:
Is this OTC Omeprazole really as good (or better) than how I'm now taking it? Might the Omeprazole one gets via prescription be of a different grade and be somehow different from the medically prescribed form? Or that the OTC form is in tablets and not capsules?

If it's just as good I'm tempted to switch over to t?hose time-release tablets. On the other hand, who would know better than my gastro? And he prescribed it as 40 mg /once daily

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Can I switch PPI to over-the counter 20mg b.i.d.

Post by Helico_expert »

the prilosec will be the same, as long as you take 2 tablets (20 mg), 2 times a day.

eliuri

Post by eliuri »

Follow up question:

If I continue taking the 40mg Omeprazole (as prescribed) at night and then i take another 20mg of the OTC Prilosec 12 hours later, would I then be taking too high a dose? It would be a total of 60 mg/day. Is that too high a daily dose?

I have only one more week left of this triple therapy regimen and I want to optimize the eradication success

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Prof. Marshall usually prescribe rabeprazole 20 mg, three times a day. But it would be best if you inform your doctor first. after all, he is responsible for the medication prescribed to you.

Return to “Diagnosis and Testing 检测与实验”