Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Helicobacter pylori and constipation. Please help!

Blood tests (for antibody) are used to screen for H.pylori. They remain positive for many months after treatment so can only be used as the initial test. Urine antibody is a "pregnanacy style" urine test. Accuracy is slightly less than blood tests. A negative blood test is good evidence that Hp is NOT present. Use it to exclude the diagnosis (but no test is 100% perfect remember).

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Emma_shae

Helicobacter pylori and constipation. Please help!

Post by Emma_shae »

Hi everyone,

I’m a 28 year old female that has been suffering from constipation now for 5 years. The only way I am able to go to the toilet is with a dulcolax suppository which I have to use on a daily basis. I exercise 4-5 days a week, eat a healthy balanced diet and have overall good health. Unfortunately I do smoke cigarettes and have the occasional wine, but other than that I try to nourish my body. Besides the constipation, I always have a lot of mucus in my stools and over the last couple of years I have been getting a lot of mucus in my throat on a daily basis. I started thinking this was from smoking but read that H. Pylori can cause mucus and flu like symptoms..? I do not suffer from heartburn, reflux or any major stomach pains. I do occasionally get bloating in my stomach and fatigue though. I was a vegetarian for 4 years and even introduced meat back into my diet about a year ago trying anything that would help my symptoms.
I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done about two years ago and I tested positive for H.pylori and lymphocytic enteritis. The doc didn’t really explain what these infections were and when I asked if this may be causing my constipation he replied, ‘it shouldn’t be’ and that was the end of that discussion. I was prescibed the antibiotics, took the full dose and the constipation remained the same. It wasn’t until two months ago when I got all my bloods tested that it came back positive for H. Pylori.. after seeing this, I started doing a little research and was so surprised to find out how serious this can become. My question is, does H. Pylori cause serious constipation? The majority of reports I have read focus mainly on diarrhea and heart burn etc.. I would also like to point out that I brought home a parasite from India which gave me Diarrhea for the first time in 5 years! This only lasted 2 weeks and then I was back to the old suppositories 😑 I am so fed up with taking them and not being able to go to the toilet like a normal person. Even when I got gastro from my partner I couldn’t go to the toilet, I just threw up for 3 days straight! I have just started taking slippery elm, mastic gum, broccoli sprouts and marshmallow root as I’ve read this all helps with gut problems. I have been taking a good probiotic for a couple of years also. Any help on H. Pylori and constipation would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Emma 😊

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Helicobacter pylori and constipation. Please help!

Post by Helico_expert »

Have you tried getting rid of H. pylori with antibiotics?

Emma_shae

Post by Emma_shae »

Yes I took the full dose 2 years ago prescibed by the doctor as I wrote above.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

do you still remember what antibiotics you were given for H. pylori? Have you done another test after the treatment to show that your treatment then work?

museaddict

Post by museaddict »

I think constipation is one of the symptoms of H.pylori
since I have H.pylori my stransit became very slow and I'm constipated so yes H.pylori can cause constipation

Jada

Post by Jada »

Hi Emma (and everyone else reading this),

When you think it can't get any worse...

Today I found out I was positive for h.pylori and frankly, it's quite a bummer. My husband probably has it as well. We've both been suffering from GERD even before this, I had 3 endoscopies until now all were negative for h.pylori, I wasn't even worried about that. Took it for granted. I have had mild gastritis and esophagitis but nothing too serious. Now I started to feel slightly constipated the last few days, and since I recently found out my mother has this bacteria, I decided to test as well - and voila, there you go. I knew something was different because I usually didn't have any problems with bowel movements - quite the opposite. I also noticed a change in smell. Anyway, I obviously got it from my mum, my husband as well, and now I'm terribly worried about gastric cancer (and I also read that it increases the chances for some other types of cancers like lung and pancreas) so needless to say I'm terrified. We both suffer from gastro diseases already and now this - just perfect.
I wanted to ask you if you've maybe solved this problem or tried anything that works? We haven't started our treatment yet, but we already bought honey, propolis, ordered cumin seed oil and I will start drinking ginger tea and some other natural treatment before resorting to antibiotics.

I want to get rid of this nasty bacteria for good!!!

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I had 3 endoscopies until now all were negative for h.pylori
how is it possible that 3 endoscopies missed H. pylori? did your doctor actually do a HP test? or specific histology?
I obviously got it from my mum, my husband as well
what test did you get to find out you have H. pylori?

basic background

usually people catch H. pylori from mother when young (about 1-2 years old). H. pylori infection is a very chronic infection.

usually when you are young and healthy, you are asymptomatic. half of the world population carry this bacteria and 80% of them are asymptomatic.

usually you start getting symptoms at the age of 30+, perhaps due to stress, and stress weaken your immune system.

usually people over 50 have higher risk of gastric cancer.

If you do have H. pylori, there is no need to panic. Panic, is a type of mental stress that will only make the symptom worse. You just need to follow a systematic treatment protocol and make sure that you are free of H. pylori by doing a follow up check up.

to prevent reinfection, you just need to get everyone who lives under the same roof cured.

H. pylori dont normally spread among adults. Because adults are more hygienic. As long as everyone brushes your teeth and washes your hands, the risk of transmission is very low. We have seen many examples of married couples living together for many years and never infect the other.

Jada

Post by Jada »

They didn't miss it - I really didn't have it back then. I did other tests as well as none were positive. Last one was on March this year.
Recently I noticed a change in bowel movements, slowed down even though I feel the need to go I can't. So since my mother got it I decided to get tested and found out I was positive - stool test.

So I definitely didn't have it up until now. And neither did my husband (both us did previous tests on a regular basis for h.pylori on stool, blood and biopsy). So I don't know where else I would have got it than from my mother, probably through food contamination when she prepared something maybe tasted the dish and then we ate it or something similar (door knobs, who knows). It's definitely not a coincidence that we got it at same the time. I tried to be as careful as possible and told her it is infectious but... Whatever the case, this is the scenario. My main concern is the change in bowel movements, for now. I found an interesting (albeit depressing) report that even after eradication this doesn't really improve because bacteria triggers a change in the expression of Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), more specifically: " H. pylori infection may impair GI motility by enhancing the colonic GLP-1/PAX6 expression." (GLP-1 is a gut hormone produced in the lower intestinal tract) which doesn't change at all even after eradication. More on this here -- https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0177232
This sounds like a nightmare come true, especially since I've read this story and some other stories from women who have had chronic constipation for years because of this damn bacteria. I am trying to find a way how to prevent this from becoming my everyday thing for the rest of my life because I think I'll go nuts.
Thank you, any advice is appreciated.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Your case is not very typical. Perhaps you need to double confirm the stool test result. How positive is the positive result? if it is borderline positive, then you may question if the test result is true. You can also get blood or breath test done to double confirm. As I said, blood test is almost never wrong if it is negative.

to prevent H. pylori spreading, you'll need to make sure everyone washes their hands and brush their teeth, especially in the morning.

Return to “Antibody type Tests (blood or urine antibody)”