Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Endoscopy negative but with gastritis

There are several types of tests for H.pylori. The major ones have a their own forum.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

ruedo6

Endoscopy negative but with gastritis

Post by ruedo6 »

Hi there. I hope you are doing well.

I had H pylori when I was 19 years old. It was successfully eradicated.

I am now a 35 year old male experiencing stomach issues. Those issues include: heartburn, lump in throat, nausea, post-nasal drip, burning in my stomach.

I was on Nexium 40 mg twice a day and then switched to 60 mg Dexilant once a day. I went for an endoscopy while I was on these medications. I raised this with my GI doctor who said that it would not affect the results. He did tell me not to take any medications the morning of the procedure. I followed his instructions. The endoscopy included a biopsy for h pylori. The results are as follows:

HISTOLOGY
TISSUE:
1) Gastric bx

CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS:
1) R/O h. pylori
2) erosion

DIAGNOSIS:
STOMACH, BIOPSIES:
- antral mucosa with mild chronic gastritis.
- stain for h.pylori is negative.
- oxyntic mucosa not identified.

I was then prescribed 40mg pantoprazole twice a day, which does help most of the time, and I watch what I eat. I have been told that my gastritis is due to a very poor diet (lots of spicy food and fried food) and high stress and anxiety (I have a newborn baby and we also moved into a two bedroom apartment). I always thought that gastritis was caused either by h pylori or NSAID use, but many doctors and GIs have told me that it is not always caused by those two and that it can be caused by poor diet and stress. Basically, I can't eat whatever I want like I used to do in my 20s.

All the doctors (and there's been at least 7 of them) I have asked have told me that biopsies with a stain to test for h.pylori would not result in a false negative even while on a PPI. They've just told me that gastritis and GERD take a long time to heal. They have also told me that reinfection of h pylori after successful eradication is very unlikely in a developed country (I live in Canada). It has been 16 years since successfully eradicating h pylori.

I want to believe them and put this fear and anxiety to bed. Am I just worrying needlessly and has my anxiety gotten the best of me?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Endoscopy negative but with gastritis

Post by Helico_expert »

Although no test is 100%, I agree with your doctors. Reinfection in a developed country is rare. mainly because the prevalence is low to start with. secondly, with a good hygiene practice, catching H. pylori is really difficult.

I also agree that some symptoms can be persistent. H. pylori can cause some serious damages that may last a long time even after eradication.

I also agree that some symptoms can be triggered by mental stress. We have conducted a clinical trial where we infect healthy volunteers with either H. pylori or placebo. It was a double blind study. in the middle of the study, one of the volunteers ended up in emergency because of all the gastric symptoms. In the end of the study, we learnt that he had taken the placebo. But because of all the stress in believing in taken the real deal, his body responded with all the symptoms.

So, try to stay calm and be positive. If PPi is working for you, just continue taking them.

ruedo6

Post by ruedo6 »

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I really appreciate it!

Honestly, I was expecting a "go back and retest" but to hear this makes me believe the doctors more.

Everyone has been telling me it's my stress and anxiety which has been very, very, very high. Like I said in my post, all my doctors said that the lab results from the biopsy were both very common and not very impressive.

Thank you again.

I will continue to take my PPI as prescribed and will follow-up with my GI if there are any further complications.

bekean

Post by bekean »

Regarding your concern about the accuracy of an H. pylori test while on proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), it's generally known that PPIs can affect the sensitivity of the test, potentially leading to false negatives. Stopping PPIs for a period before the test, under the guidance of your healthcare provider, is sometimes recommended to increase the accuracy of the results.
However, your doctors seem to be confident that the stain for H. heardle pylori is not affected by PPI use, and they have emphasized that gastritis and GERD can take time to heal. Given that you successfully eradicated H. pylori 16 years ago and the recent negative result, it might be reasonable to trust the medical advice you've received.

guetoo

Post by guetoo »

All biological tests are flawed. They are all less than 100% sensitive. The proportion of known positives in which the test will be positive is expressed as sensitivity. Specificity, on the other hand, is represented as the proportion of known negatives in which the test will be negative. No test that I am aware of has a 100% specificity. If you want to go very technical, you can compute positive and negative predictivebasketball stars values for most tests. Those figures, however, are very reliant on knowing the prevalence of the ailment in the general population (screening test) or the test group (those with symptoms).

ronaldo99

Post by ronaldo99 »

Relax, your anxiety is likely the culprit. While unlikely, discuss false negative concerns with your doctor and manage stress with relaxation techniques for optimal gut health. build now gg

Return to “Diagnosis and Testing 检测与实验”