Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

RUT: positive or negative?

There are several types of tests for H.pylori. The major ones have a their own forum.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: RUT: positive or negative?

Post by Helico_expert »

Histology is the gold standard. Then again, it is not always 100%. Perhaps you want to try blood test or breath test again ?

Nevertheless, how do you feel now? Has your symptoms improved?

Sajal

Post by Sajal »

No, symptoms have not improved.
I have read that blood test would reveal positive for months even after eradication.
My B12 levels are also severely deficient

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

You are right. Blood result may remain positive for months or even years. But blood test is relatively cheaper and a negative result will give some comfort.

Sajal

Post by Sajal »

I went for endoscopy again after getting negative histopathology report and culture. This time RUT is positive but histopathology shows no sign of h pylori.

So, now I have two histopathology reports showing negative and one RUT that turned positive. Also, the symptoms ( burping and acidity) are still there.

I am confused what do I believe. I have heard RUT is very accurate and that's why I cannot ignore it despite getting two negative histopathology reports.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

it is indeed very confusing. Histology is meant to be the gold standard in an invasive test. Because even without H. pylori, there is usually sign of inflammation to hint for the presence of a pathogen. Of course, if you are immuno compromised, then there wont be any inflammation, and pathologist may make a mistake.

nevertheless, I would trust two histology report over 1 RUT. Sometimes, when the stomach is not acidic enough, some other organism can start growing. These contaminants can give false positive RUT. But the color change will be a lot weaker than H. pylori. So I wonder how positive is your RUT.

meanwhile, if you are not taking any PPI or antibiotics, can you do a breath test to triple confirm?

Sajal

Post by Sajal »

As far as I can remember, the change in colour took place within 10 minutes. Also, the change of colour was same as I had seen in previous test. It did not feel like only a slight change.
I was suspicious of the previous histology that was done along with culture because I remember I had gone for follow up test after completing quad therapy 2 months before. It was positive by RUT as well as in histology. In the meantime I dis not do any other abx treatment, but when I went for culture, it came out negative along with histology. How can the bacteria be eradicated without doing any abx?
That's why to reconfirm the negative results, I went for endoscopy again, but it only added to my existing dilemma by giving positive RUT and negative histology.

Unfortunately, there is no breath test available here in India and stool test are not considered reliable by Gls as it is done by local pathologist.

Also, I am B12 deficient. Can that affect my results of RUT or histology?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

B12 deficient will not affect RUT or histology.

another explanation for the false negative histology is because the gastroenterologist did not take the biopsy from a healthy tissue.
H. pylori can only colonise on healthy tissue. Gastroenterologist normally only grab a tissue from abnormal tissue for histology. As a result, they can sometimes miss H. pylori.

Can you ask your gastroenterologist to order a specific immuno stain on the histology? it's a special stain to highlight H. pylori.

Sajal

Post by Sajal »

Unfortunately, they do not do staining here in India.
Also, The two times I have been diagnosed negative for h pylori was from two different GIs.

I only have mild gastritis and erosions in duodenum. All the doctors here believes that my problem is not h pylori related. They say that there is no need to eradicate h pylori unless one does not have ulcers.

What can I do now? Symptoms are still there.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

It's very difficult to make accurate judgement when there is incomplete diagnosis.

Your GI doctors should be experienced enough to give good judgement.

If you are indeed free of H. pylori, do you feel better when taking PPI? perhaps you can try different types of PPI to see which one of them help you better.

Sajal

Post by Sajal »

My GI thinks I still have infection, but I have already exhausted all the antibiotics. Therefore, he advised me to stay on ppis forever.

I have tried two rounds of abx therapy: amox,clarithro, and ppis ; amox, metro, tetra, bismuth, and ppis.

Ribafutin is not available here in India. What options do I have now?

Return to “Diagnosis and Testing 检测与实验”