Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

C14 UBT and opinions needed

Breath tests are the most accurate way of detecting H.pylori without actually having an endoscopy (stomach examination). Breath tests are especially useful after treatment to make sure H.pylori is cured. Urea breath tests are known to be completely harmless. Either C14-urea or C13-urea tests are used. Read about them at the diagnosis section at http://www.helico.com/diag_breath.html where a diagram can be found. C14-urea breath tests use a radioactive tracer but such a tiny amount that it can be used safely at any age. It is a 15 minute test, convenient and inexpensive. The C13-urea test uses a stable isotope of carbon which is also harmless but requires two breath samples and takes about 30 minutes. Both tests have accuracy greater than 90%.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: C14 UBT and opinions needed

Post by Helico_expert »

If you prepared to see a gastroenterologist, then endoscopy is the topic of discussion. You can ask him all the questions about PPI, different brands of PPI, the measurement of your gastric pH, the biopsy and histology.

PPI has been on the market for many years and is generally safe. The side effect is osteoporosis. But that will happen if you take it for years.

Ice006

Post by Ice006 »

Saw a GP today, seemed like a good/great guy, but didn't really get a better stance on things. He referred me to a Gastroenterologist.

He said I can take the H. Pylori meds, and all the other supplements the other Doctor recommended, but basically it's up to me. He said if I can't decide maybe see the Gastroenterologist first and go from there (that's a fair call) after seeing what he has to say. I did ask about another breath test, but I am guessing he would rather I take the meds due to my symptoms and see what happens.

A lot of the regular GPs/Doctors keep banging on about my current diet (Ketogenic), but they just don't seem to listen that I was worse off when eating a ton of carbs. When I eat carbs I can't seem to stop as I am never satisfied. It's like I am getting zero nutrition from them and only a short burst of energy due to the sugar that doesn't last long. That's not the best way to go long term. My energy sucked before, and my gut issues were even more prevalent back then (more gas/bloating etc.).

What should I ask the Gastroenteroligst that he might not check for if I don't request it as far as H. Pylori and other possible bacterial issues? I will ask about H. Pylori and/or if he thinks it could be a low stomach acid issue.
Helico_expert wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:30 am
If you prepared to see a gastroenterologist, then endoscopy is the topic of discussion. You can ask him all the questions about PPI, different brands of PPI, the measurement of your gastric pH, the biopsy and histology.

PPI has been on the market for many years and is generally safe. The side effect is osteoporosis. But that will happen if you take it for years.
Didn't see this message until after I posted my reply above. Thanks.

I'll also ask some stuff from this previous post of yours :
Helico_expert wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:39 pm
I wouldnt recommend antibiotics without proper diagnostic. mis use of antibiotics will only lead to more antibiotic resistance.

Breath test is most accurate when the stomach is acidic. The H. pylori treatment always come with PPI and antibiotics. The PPI will stop the acid secretion and help the antibiotics work better. sometimes, the patient will be asked to continue PPI until the symptoms are relieved.

Therefore, you'll need to stop PPI and antibiotics for at least 2 weeks before the breath test.

The upper gastro endoscopy will send a tube down your throat to have a look around for abnormalities. The gastroenterologist will take a few biopsies for histology examination. Some gastric juice can be extracted to check for acid pH. However, this is not a common procedure and can be done upon request.

Interestingly, iron deficiency is associated with H. pylori infection. There are reports of iron level back to normal after H. pylori eradication.
I'll ask and PPIs and also about this Gastic Juice extraction as that sounds like a good idea if I end up going ahead with an Endoscopy after seeing him. I'll ask about the Iron deficiency too. The number might not be low, low, but when eating mostly lamb/beef, I feel the number was too low. Doesn't make sense to me. Something is causing it to be low as it's definitely not from a lacking diet.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Look forward to reading your gastroenterology report. good luck.

Ice006

Post by Ice006 »

Hi Helico_Expert,

I just wanted to ask another couple more questions.

If I wanted to check stomach acid, that's something I have to request?

Also, I have kind of decided to take the Nexium HP-7 (I think this is what was prescribed) antibiotics before going to the Gastroenterologist just to see if it makes any difference. I figure if I can take them beforehand, I can tell him if it made any difference. Question is, if I do have H. Pylori, how long after taking would you notice a difference? I want to reschedule my appointment as it's for next week (I am assuming that won't be enough time to see if the antibiotics worked?). Should I change it to 3-4 weeks after taking them?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

since you are definitely going to do the endoscopy, why dont you take the antibiotics after that?
the antibiotics and PPI will affect the histology and give false negative results.

and yes, stomach acid is not a routine check. So you will need to request your gastroenterologist to check it.

Ice006

Post by Ice006 »

Helico_expert wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:39 pm
since you are definitely going to do the endoscopy, why dont you take the antibiotics after that?
the antibiotics and PPI will affect the histology and give false negative results.
Thanks for the quick reply. If you celebrate it, hope you're having a great Holidays.
Well, this was my train of thought - I was kind of thinking if the antibiotics work, then maybe I could skip the endoscopy all together. I kind of don't like the idea of a colonoscopy or endoscopy. The person I spoke to on the phone when going through all the details said I'd likely have both done by the Doctor, and I am sure she said they put you under a few hours for it? Is that correct? I thought I'd be awake during it. If so, all that has put me off a bit. Is an endoscopy done through the nose or mouth?

Also, when you say "histology" what does that mean? I'm not familiar with the terminology. Will antibiotics affect the test results even if I do have an endoscopy or colonoscopy 4 - 8 weeks after taking them?
and yes, stomach acid is not a routine check. So you will need to request your gastroenterologist to check it.
Alright, thanks. I'll ask for this. Not sure if you think I need it, but I kind of want to if possible. Is it a procedure separate from the Endoscopy, or can it be done at the same time?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

you'll probably going to be asleep and not remember anything during the colonoscopy and endoscopy. So dont worry about it.

histology is when the biopsy is taken to the laboratory for examination.

Ice006

Post by Ice006 »

Helico_expert wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:58 pm
you'll probably going to be asleep and not remember anything during the colonoscopy and endoscopy. So dont worry about it.

histology is when the biopsy is taken to the laboratory for examination.
Alright, thanks. With the Histology still be affected if I didn't do the Endoscopy for at least 4-8 weeks after taking them? That's pretty much the last thing I'll ask for now.

DawsonGonzales

Post by DawsonGonzales »

Thank you for such valuable information. Friends, I am currently researching this issue as part of my dissertation research and I can say that your discussion has helped me a lot. I found the best dissertation proofreaders that helped me adjust some aspects of my work and make it more perfect.
Last edited by DawsonGonzales on Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Alright, thanks. With the Histology still be affected if I didn't do the Endoscopy for at least 4-8 weeks after taking them? That's pretty much the last thing I'll ask for now.
If you are over 50 year old, then you should get an endoscopy done, as a baseline reference. In case you need another endoscopy done when you are 60 or 70, then you have something to compare to and see how much worse it have become.

if you are young, around 30-50, mild symptom, then endoscopy is optional. However, if the doctor suspect that you have an ulcer, or have family history of gastric cancer, then endoscopy is still recommended.

if you decided to take antibiotics and PPI, then you'll need to wait for at least 4 weeks before you go ahead for endoscopy.

these are the scenarios

Scenario 1.
you have HP and the treatment works.
your endoscopy would see some gastritis. histology will show inflammation retreating. no HP will be since when special stain is used.

Scenario 2.
you have HP and the treatment failed.
your endoscopy would see some gastritis. histology will show active inflammation. HP can be since when special stain is used.

Scenario 3.
You dont have HP. with or without treatment is the same.
your endoscopy may see gastritis. histology may see a bit of inflammation. no HP will be since when special stain is used.

Return to “Breath Tests (C14 and C13)”