Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Endoscopy today

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

DCHelico

Endoscopy today

Post by DCHelico »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. Some background about my case: I'm a 34 year old man in Washington DC. I've suffered from acid reflux once or twice a year for about the last 8 years, but it always cleared up quickly with Nexium products. I have in the past also had bouts of what I presumed was IBS, with poop just like saliva. But when I moved to the US from the UK 6 years ago, this largely stopped.

Anyway, in October I noticed that some fairly persistent acid reflux symptoms and weird stools were happening together. My symptoms had never really seemed "food triggered." But one day I drank a big pint of tomato juice. Within 2/3 hours I was in a lot of pain. Severe heartburn and indigestion like symptoms. Cramping stomach with pain if I bent over. I began a Nexium course, drank some Mylanta. The next day I woke up and my stomach sounded like a dishwasher - audibly very loud gushing. I had explosive green diarrhea.

But the anti acids seemed to work for a few days. I went to a wedding. After about 5 days though, I realised that my acid reflux symptoms were now persistent. I developed a constant low full ache through sometimes burning stomach. What's more, my stools remained extremely loose, and a dark green color. My stomach felt way worse 2/3 hours after food or on an empty stomach, and at night. After two weeks of this, I decided to try to get a Gastro appointment, but none were available until next year. I saw my primary care doctor. She did a breath test & blood tests, including for H Pylori. The breath test came back negative (likely a false negative given all the anti acids) but the blood test had antibodies suggesting a recent infection. She prescribed me a 14 day three treatment course of amoxicillin, clarithomycin, and pantoprazole.

I did the treatment. And things definitely improved a lot with the stomach. No more diarrhea, although stools still dark green. The acid reflux was better controlled, although it always felt like the tablets were merely holding back the tide. In fact, one day I underdosed on pantoprazole and was in a lot of pain. After two weeks my symptoms felt almost gone. My doctor advised continuing to take the panto for a couple more weeks as my stomach normalized.

However, 3/4 days after antibiotics were complete, some very mild stomach discomfort began reoccurring. This has now led to stomach gurgling, and the same dull and burning aches in the stomach again. My stool is still a very dark green. I went to a GI yesterday, and because I'm supposed to be off travelling for Xmas, he's arranged an endoscopy for today to try to identify what is going on.

I am posting this story to see if others have had similar tales, to ask whether anyone has had this return of symptoms after H pylori has cleared up or whether this sounds like the bacteria wasn't fully defeated? And to elicit any other tips an advice for eliminating symptoms. As an FYI: since the antibiotic, I've pretty much been on a diet of steamed vegetables, summer berries, and occasionally very light meats such as chicken.

DCHelico

Re: Endoscopy today

Post by DCHelico »

Update: the doctor seemed relatively pleased with the endoscopy, but he did identify some furrowing in the esophagus and some nodules in the stomach, which he took biopsies of. My acid is definitely getting worse despite the continued pantoprazole. I have had acid and heartburn all day today, including a horrible mouth taste.

DCHelico

Post by DCHelico »

Some good news! My biopsy only found evidence of mild inactive chronic gastritis, but no active H Pylori or gastritis. So it seems as if the antiobiotic treatment was successful.

I would be really really grateful if anyone here had a good experience for a stomach normalisation post-H Pylori eradication? Right now I still get quite a bit of reflux and so still on prescription dose PPI. How to ease off of this? And any recommendations for a diet/general health plan to help repair my stomach more quickly?

Thanks

Ryan

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

sorry for the late respond. looks like you had successful treatment without much side effect.
There is no official guideline to recovery. Everyone is slightly different depending on the damage accumulated. Some people try herbs, probiotics, or green tea to ease the symptoms. You can try any as long as you dont overdose yourself.
Stay positive and eat healthy is always the key to good recovery.

AMERC

Post by AMERC »

Hi Helico Expert

My endoscopy in Sep 22 showed mild chronic gastritis associated with occasional helicobacter organism on the surface. I was put on 14 days treatment of Amoxicillin, Levoflaxin and Dexilant all twice a day. I complete the triple therapy treatment on 23 October but continued on Dexilant x2 day for another 5 weeks. As I felt the symptoms were under control i reduced to one Dexilant in the morning only. For the last week or so I am finding my symptoms have worsen - heartburn and pain in the epigastric.

I know if (and it is a big if) the helicobacter has gone then it would take time for mild chronic gastritis to heal but why would things get better and then get worse? Is this part of the healing process? Did I reduce the PPI too soon? Can I take H2 blocker like Cimetidine 400mg in between morning and evening dose of Dexilant 30mg?

Since i had the bug in Oct 2020 and after initial 7 day treatment had multiple stool and breath tests all negative but the histology in sept 22 still found the bacteria my gastro has suggested another endoscopy in Feb to confirm eradication.

DCHelico

Post by DCHelico »

Thanks Helico Expert

One thing I would pass on to everyone is if you have Helico stomach irritation, AVOID TOMATOES!!

The discomfort for me with them is INSTANT. I just accidentally had a bit of a sauce that had tomato as an ingredient and it aggravated my stomach, which had been getting better for days. In fact, it was a glass of tomato juice that gave me a terrible stomach that made me initially notice the infection.

DCHelico1

Post by DCHelico1 »

So I went to a wedding in Guatemala last week and since then my acid reflux is back with a vengeance. Pretty constant. And today I have had a thick mucus stool. I don't know whether this is a new stomach complaint or some sort of H Pylori revival, but it feels like before - which is strange, because my endoscopy biopsy showed no sign of infection. I'm still on 2 Nexium per day and have had the occasional reflux.

I'm so over feeling like this. I've started getting stomach pains today too...

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

assuming you are truly H. pylori negative. Some patients can experience episodes of symptoms. Perhaps due to particular food that triggers the symptoms.
The aim is to have the episodes come less and less frequent and ultimately never comes back.

So most importantly is to make sure you are free of H. pylori.
make sure you do a follow up breath test when you are not taking PPI.
make sure everyone living under the same roof is free of H. pylori.

AMERC

Post by AMERC »

Hi Helico Expert

Under what scenarios could a breath test and/or stool test be NEGATIVE (with NO PPI for at least 14 days before these tests) but the histology of the biopsy taken returns a H Pylori POSTIVE. Have you come across such cases?

This was in my case and the histology also found mild chronic gastritis in the antral region. Took the 3 round of triple therapy in Oct 22 and since then symptoms got much better but then came back with vengeance but now has again subsided. Thinking of another endoscopy in March to check eradication as I can no longer trust breath or stool tests.

One gastro said to me that if H Pylori is dormant it will not produce enough chemicals (urea) for the breath test or if the quantity of H Pylori is low it will can be missed in the stool test but under biopsy since it is sample based the histology will detect the bacteria regardless of whether it is dormant or active. Is this theory correct?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

When your stomach doesnt produce enough acid, then HP can turn off the urease pathway and produce false negative.

also, how negative is your negative result?
if 50 dpm is the cut off and your result is 49 dpm, then it's low confident negative.
if your result is 1 dpm, that would mean it's almost true negative.

Of course, it could be technical error where the breath test machine is not calibrated, or the test is not correctly operated by the technician, that could lead to false negative too.

Nevertheless, histology is the gold standard.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”