Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Excessive stomach acid after treatment

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

msybb

Excessive stomach acid after treatment

Post by msybb »

Hi Helico_expert

A couple of months after the triple therapy, my stomach has become very sensitive particularly to sweet and acid food. A bit more sweet and acidic food can irritate my stomach and trigger excessive stomach acid. And it is still the same now nearly 11 months after the treatment. Is it a common post-treatment symptom? Is it related to that my stomach mucus may be still thin or HP have impaired my stomach lining cells or something else? Will this symptom gradually improve and recover? Thanks.

I had a gastroscopy a month ago which still showed scattered mild inflammation. My symptoms have come and gone many times over the last 11 months. But the positive side is I do feel my symptoms have improved although very slowly and the episodes have gradually become shorter over the time.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Excessive stomach acid after treatment

Post by Helico_expert »

it's not common, but we have seen many similar cases. If your last gastroscopy did not show any severe abnormality, I think your general condition is ok. Perhaps you can make another gastroscopy appointment one year later after the previous one just to be sure.

msybb

Post by msybb »

Thanks Helico_expert for your quick reply.

My first gastroscopy before the treatment showed diffused mild inflammation characterised by erythema and granularity in entire stomach. Apart from inflammation and HP, the biopsy showed no other abnormality. I had the second gastroscopy a month ago (11 months after the treatment) which showed scattered mild inflammation characterised by adherent blood, congestion and erythema. No HP was found. Do the ‘adherent blood’ and ‘congestion’ indicate the inflammation is getting worse? Thanks.

AMERC

Post by AMERC »

Hi Helico_expert

I took a stool test after being off omeprazole for 19 days and after finishing my triple therapy treatment more than 2 months ago and the results was negative

However my stomach acidity symptoms keep coming and going. I will have days with no symptoms but on other days I will have increased acidity (tightness of throat , burning sensation in the chest etc). The intensity of the symptoms are much less than it was before the antibiotics +ppi treatment

Do you think I am likely to be h pylori free now and why does the symptoms keep coming back after days of no symptoms? Note that when the endoscopy was done last year, when h pylori was discovered, no inflammation or ulcer was found.

AMERC

Post by AMERC »

Sorry one general question. Has anyone successfully eradicated h pylori and gradually becoming completely symptoms free and after how long?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

it's common to experience "episodes" of these symptoms after HP eradication.
I am glad to hear that the "intensity" is now less than before treatment. Hopefully the "intensity" will gradually becoming weaker and weaker and then gone.

The full recovery is unpredictable. It depends on the damage done by HP. Unfortunately some damages may be permanent.

Imrankhalid

Post by Imrankhalid »

AMERC wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:20 am
Sorry one general question. Has anyone successfully eradicated h pylori and gradually becoming completely symptoms free and after how long?
Hi Amerc, I was tested negative on 26 Feb 2021 and still have symptoms. Though their intensity is not as severe as it used to be. However, gnawing pain, stomach tightness and general uncomfort make me feel very anxious at times.

AMERC

Post by AMERC »

Same here. I keep having doubts whether the bacteria has fully gone.

Was yours a breath or stool test?

Imrankhalid

Post by Imrankhalid »

Mine was a breath test. Hope you are feeling better now.

@Helico_Exeprt,

Just an update. I was improving gradually with my symptoms and in the last month I had pretty much came back to my normal diet without any noticeable symptoms or pains. Last week, I had been eating out for some days i.e BBQs, some spicy and fried food intake back to back for 2 days or so, it made my stomach back to square zero now. I am having stomach cramps and burning pains most of the time with a high level of acidity. I am worried that even testing negative 3 months back I still have this bug or it's just the food irregularity that is making me ultra sick again. I have started talking esomeprazole 20mg in the morning from today to see if I feel better. Do you advise I get tested again to be on the safe side?

Many thanks,
Imran

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Do you know how negative is your negative result?
If you are concerned, you can always do another breath test. But you will need to stop all medication for at least 2 to 3 weeks.
If you really need acid blocker, you can take H2 blockers like famotidine. H2 blockers will not affect breath test result.

Nevertheless, it is quite common to experience episodes of symptoms after HP eradication. Dont push too hard on spicy food or anything that can irritate your stomach.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”