Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

False negative C13 breath test cause no juice?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Minos75

False negative C13 breath test cause no juice?

Post by Minos75 »

Hello everyone,
last year I got diagnosed with HP after an endoscopy. Then I got treated with the Quadruple Therapy.
Last week I had the C13 breath test and it came back negative.
In the C13 testing however, I had no orange or apple juice to drink. It was just water mixed with the substrate.
Is it necessary to have the juice to get an exact result?
Thanks in advance!

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: False negative C13 breath test cause no juice?

Post by Helico_expert »

the juice is to lower the pH in your stomach to "turn on" the H. pylori enzymes.
It's not necessary to have it if your acid level is good.
it'll be helpful to know how negative is your negative result.
usually 4% is the cut off for C13. if your result is 1% or lower, then it is most likely true negative. But if your result was 3.5%, then it can be suspicious.

Minos75

Post by Minos75 »

Thanks Helico_expert!

I believe my acid levels were good as I experience a burning sensation since I cut out the PPI for the test 3,5 weeks ago. Can this be an indicator for a normal acid level?

In the medical report it only says „negative“.

Minos75

Post by Minos75 »

I talked to the doctor and lab, and they say that this specific C13 breath test does not require to drink juice.

I have also asked to provide the real result of my C13 breath test.

Minos75

Post by Minos75 »

The doctor/lab now says that this specific C13 breath test only provides a positive or negative result. No exact numbers.

Is that possible?

I asked them to investigate further.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

the principle for C13 and C14 is the same.
So juice would work the same for both of them.

to avoid mistake and confusion, some manufacturers only provide positive or negative result.
So nobody argues if they get a borderline result.
I think that is not very professional. Especially patients nowadays are getting smarter and smarter.

Minos75

Post by Minos75 »

I finally got the result of the real negative: -0,6

In the footer text they say that it is negative up to 5, and positive as of 5.

The only confusing is why it says -0,6. This cannot be a negative figure, am I right?

It looks like they quickly typed the number on the initial medical report and just made a mistake with the „-“.

I asked the lab to double check.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

How C13 breath test work is that you need to first measure your baseline level. Then you take the pill and see if more C13 is generated. if yes, then your second breath will contain much higher C13 level. If no, then lower.

So they used the number from the second breath and subtract the first. Usually we would convert any negative value to 0 as it doesnt make sense to have lower C13 breath than your baseline.

Nevertheless, it's good to know you have no elevation of C13. Therefore you are free of HP now.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”