Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Diet question and my h.bacter story

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

AMERC

Re: Diet question and my h.bacter story

Post by AMERC »

Hi Helico

As per my previous posts on this forum I was suffering from high stomach acidity since June 2020. Was tested for helicobacter positive during an endoscopy in Oct 20 (but apparently there was no inflammation). Went through two 7 day antibiotics and ppi treatments with the second completing in January 21. Continued omeprazole for a month thereafter. Since Mar 21 I have been completely off ppi and in mid March my stool test also came back negative for h pylori. Symptoms have also improved a lot since

However I still get bouts of silent acid reflux symptoms mainly tightness in the throat usually after eating. What could be causing this? What is the relationship between acidity and throat tightness?

Also since the infection in June 20 I have lost about 15kg. Although I have started to eat better since March still not gained any weight. How long does it take to gain back 15kg after eradicating h pylori with post treatment syndrome?

I have to say that I did manage to fast in Ramadan which ended yesterday. Strangely I did not suffer from acid reflux during the day only slightly after breaking the fast in the evening after having food. I was expecting other way round.

As always much appreciate your views

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

some damage may be permanent. you can try some H2 blockers, such as famotidine, to control your acid.

AMERC

Post by AMERC »

Thanks Helico_expert

Because my first eradication treatment failed i keep having doubt that whether the second eradication treatment wad successful. Although my acidity symptoms has more 80% reduced since the end of the second treatment in January, I have off ppi since March and also had a stool test negative for h pylori in March.

With all of the above and also that I was able fast for nearly 16 hours daily in Ramadan do you think I have eradicated the bacteria?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I think the best way is to get a breath/stool test done. While most people have their symptoms relieved immediately after H. pylori treatment. That does not mean H. pylori is eradicated. Many, including doctors, refer the symptoms relief as "cured", and refer the come back of the symptoms as "reinfection". This concept is incorrect.

So, please proceed with a follow up test to find out if you still carry H. pylori.

AMERC

Post by AMERC »

As I mentioned i did do a stool test on 19 March which came back negative for h pylori. My eradication treatment ended on 13 January and I was off ppi for 19 days before I took the test.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

It's good that your acid symptom has improved significantly.
I cannot guess if you still have H. pylori at present. Given that you got a negative stool test in March and the test is usually around 90% accurate. So it is probably true.

However, you need to make sure that everyone living under the same roof is free of H. pylori. That will prevent you from re-infection.

AMERC

Post by AMERC »

Thanks

Just a couple of questions

Can taking probiotic affect the stool test results?

Are breath test results more accurate than stool tests results ? In the UK they give us stool test only because its cheaper for the NHS

AMERC

Post by AMERC »

Also would taking antacid like Gaviscon Advance affect the stool test results?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

probiotics and Gaviscon Advance will not affect stool test result. Just stop them one day before the test.

Stool test is as accurate as breath test.

annndi

Post by annndi »

Hi Helico_expert.

As I said that i'm back to 100%, last week I stopped 20mg PPIs (gradually 3 days yes 3days no).

This week i've been feeling a little bit burning sensation after food again as i'm not on PPIs anymore.

Can 6 weeks of PPIs (20mg) really create Acid Rebound?
What should I do now - I thought I was back to 100% and now burning sensation again after stopage of PPIs. Do I hope that acid rebounds lasts 2 weeks and my acid levels get back to moderation again?

Thank you, Andi

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”