Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Positive biopsy in March → no specific treatment → Negative stool test November

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Vitebs47

Positive biopsy in March → no specific treatment → Negative stool test November

Post by Vitebs47 »

Hi everyone! I did an endoscopy in March, which showed gastritis and the presence of bile in the stomach, also express biopsy with ++ as the result. I was prescribed PPIs, which made me burp and bloated like crazy, 100x worse then before, so I dropped them after 4-5 days and "recovered" within a week to the initial symptoms (a bit bloated, I also have low WBC for reasons still unknown). My doc at the time told me not to eradicate h.pilori as she did not consider ++ to be worth treating with antibiotics. A couple days ago I saw another doc who told me to make a full stool test and a h.pilori antigen test, the latter being negative this time. I was a bit shocked as I had not taken any medications (except garlic which is considered by some as an antibiotic). Have just done another stool antigen test at another lab and will get the results soon. In the meantime, what can all that mean? False positive/negative biopsy/stool test or can the infection just resolve on its own? Thanks!

Edit: the second antigen stool test is also negative. I'm at a loss... :?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Positive biopsy in March → no specific treatment → Negative stool test November

Post by Helico_expert »

Interesting. So did you ever get a positive result of H. pylori? how was it confirmed? There are very rare cases where PPI alone get rid of H. pylori. Perhaps you are very lucky.

Vitebs47

Re: Positive biopsy in March → no specific treatment → Negative stool test November

Post by Vitebs47 »

Helico_expert wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:35 am
Interesting. So did you ever get a positive result of H. pylori? how was it confirmed? There are very rare cases where PPI alone get rid of H. pylori. Perhaps you are very lucky.
Hi! First, thanks very much for your time! I did get a positive biopsy result in March 2020. It was some kind of 'express test' during my gastroscopy which measures the amount of h.pylori on the scale of + (low) to +++ (high). Mine was ++, which is supposed to mean a moderate number. Anyway, they found gastritis, I was prescribed PPIs after that, but could not take them for more than 5 days as they made me burp and extremely bloated with a heavy sensation in the stomach. Of course, I'd had the same symptoms prior to taking them, but the PPIs made my condition 100x worse. I guess I just can have low stomach acid instead of high. A couple days ago I saw another doc who told me to do a stool antigen test to confirm a have h. pylori along with a full stool analysis. My initial thought was - what do you need it for? Of course, it will show I'm positive, my h.pylori was confirmed with a biopsy and no eradication treatment was done! Just a waste of money. To my astonishment, it came back negative (the full stool test showed some digestion issues, though). I did another one yesterday at another lab, and it was also negative.

As for now, I can see 3 possibilities:
1) False-positive express biopsy test (can that happen at all? I mean, they are literally taking a part of your stomach lining for the test).
2) H.pylori somehow died during the several months in-between or its number is too low to be detectable in stool. I don't think that 5 days of taking PPIs could have eradicated the bacterium.
3) Two false-negative consecutive stool antigen tests at different labs.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

It's rare to get a false positive from biopsy. "++" two pluses is almost 99.9% accurate.
it's usually more common to get false negative from biopsy because the bacteria load is so low, the pathologist accidentally missed it.
Then again, the inflammation will give the pathologist a hint to look harder.

it's more likely to get false negative from stool test because IF your stomach is indeed not acidic, then H. pylori will not grow well. and the bacterial load is too low for stool test to pick up.

two consecutive negative antigen test from different lab is also almost confirm that you are clear of H. pylori. perhaps you can get a blood test now, ask for the titre of antibody against H. pylori. then measure again 3 months later. if the antibody is dropping, then it will be true that you are free of H. pylori.

alternatively, you can get another endoscopy 6-12 months later. to see if your inflammation condition improved.

Vitebs47

Post by Vitebs47 »

Thanks! I will do the test tomorrow and check what level of IgG I have.

Vitebs47

Post by Vitebs47 »

Hi! The mystery continues :)
My igG test showed 10.5. According to my lab, less than 5 means negative, more than 15 is positive, while I'm stuck somewhere in between in the "f...k knows" zone :twisted:

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

That will be your baseline. You can test again in a few months time and see if it drops.
a drop will indicate free of H. pylori
being constant or rise value will indicate presence of H. pylori.

But since it is in the indeterminant zone, your chance of being free of H. pylori is high.

Vitebs47

Post by Vitebs47 »

Hi! I've just done the same tests at the same lab: 1) stool antigen 2) blood igG. Not too early, how do you think? Awaiting the results in a few days. Thank so much for your helpful advice!

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

look forward to seeing your test result.

Vitebs47

Post by Vitebs47 »

Hi! The new results are as follows:
stool antigen - negative
blood igG - 6.12 (still equivocal as between 5 and 15) - down from 10.6 two months ago.
Can I consider the bug gone? :)

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”