Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

How long does gastritis stay around after triple therapy?

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Plotun

Re: How long does gastritis stay around after triple therapy?

Post by Plotun »

AMERC wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:11 pm
Thanks. Let us know if it works when you test negative
I've posted an update on this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=208662&start=20

msybb

Post by msybb »

I am very pleased to find this forum focusing on helicobacter related gastritis. This gastritis has made my life miserable for a year and I am still suffering from it.

My symptoms started in January 2020 after one big meal. In the beginning my only symptom was indigestion which was sometimes better and sometimes worse. But later the indigestion became worse and worse and included bloating and discomfort. I started eating less and less food and by the end of April I could only drink chicken broth. My GP sent me to hospital and I was diagnosis with helicobacter related chronic gastritis. An endoscope exam showed mild superficial inflammation throughout my whole stomach. After one week of antibiotic treatment, my symptoms improved a lot and I could eat food again. The following 2-3 weeks I felt better and better and I could eat more food including toast and even poached egg. I was so happy, however, it didn’t last long. One morning I tried eating a large slice of toast with some nuts and a bit corn meal in it, which was a disaster for my stomach.

After that toast, I had symptoms again; indigestion, full and heavy stomach and I could only eat a little food. A few weeks later I felt better and could eat more food again, and then my stomach got upset as long as I ate a little bit more or a bit different food. This episode has repeated many times over the last 7 months since the treatment, and my stomach has been forward and backword and has not get much better. I only eat limited soft food, can’t have sweet or acidic food which irritates my stomach. I feel my stomach is so weak and sensitive. I have to rely on multivitamins & minerals and whey protein powder to give me more nutrients and protein, but it is difficult to eat enough calories. Many times I have almost reached a breaking point and felt hopeless.

My stool test in August showed helicobacter negative.

Does anyone have a similar experience to me?

Hi Helico_expert, would my prolonged recovery be due to my weak and fragile stomach, or inflammation still in my stomach, or the helicobacter may still not be eradicated?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

The good news is, given that the H. pylori is now gone, your condition will gradually improve, at least not going worse.

the bad news is, some damage can be permanent. Usually happen more among the elderlies.

Most important is that you are now free of H. pylori. It is common for the patients to experience "episodes". From experience, the frequency of these episodes will gradually reduce and the duration becomes shorter.

arthursocal1

Post by arthursocal1 »

@msybb

I'm going through a very similar situation as you. It's been two months since my quad therapy treatment and I honestly feel worse than I did with pylori. I took a test 5 weeks after completion and it came back negative. U stopped the PPI the last day of treatment and never touched it again, so I'm confident it's actually gone. That was a sigh of relief, but I'm feeling miserable now.

I'm similar to you because I have a week or two where I feel good so I eat to catch up on the weight and nutrients I've lost. I'm thinking I've turned the corner and then bam, it hits, the symptoms start again and I'm unable to eat for weeks. I really do not like this pattern. My PD has yet to refer me to a GI, but I'm speaking with him tomorrow to push the issue. Haven't an endoscopy done and I'm sure there's damage. I'm only 34 and was relatively active and act fairly well before pylori last year.

I feel hopeless and like a burden to my wife and family. Doing my best to stay positive and tell myself that it'll get better. I just want some confirmation that nothing else is going on. With strong antibiotics and PPI, our stomachs are wrecked. With so many natural remedies, I regret taking the antibiotics. I was able to at least function and get things done beforehand. Not so much anymore.

Also, I'm skeptical of taking PPI's as an aid in recovery after treatment and eradication. It's proven that pylori live in the stomach lining mucosa and it severely reduces stomach acid. Why would we take an acid-blocker? Please, someone, help me understand that.

TinaSF

Post by TinaSF »

This is a reply to ArthurSoCal.

You might want to try eating a bland diet for awhile to give your stomach some time to heal. From reading a bunch of posts, it seems that it takes several weeks to months for gastritis to resolve post treatment due to inflammation caused by your immune system in response to the bacterial infection.

Really quick, my doc prescribed tetracycline, metronidazole, omeprazole, and bismuth for treatment. I couldn't tolerate metronidazole because of peripheral neuropathy side effect so I was instructed to stop it but to continue tetracycline. On the 9th day, my throat started getting very tight. I developed reflux esophagitis so severe that my throat muscles are weak and im unable to swallow solid foods. Its been 4 months now.

Once your stomach starts healing and feeling better, it begins producing an over abundance of acid. I think you may be experiencing over production of acid now that you got rid of the bacteria. Thats why doctors have their patients stay on a ppi for a 2 to 4 weeks post treatment to allow the stomach time to normalize its acid levels.

I think I'm still infected but I don't feel many symptoms now because I'm taking prilosec 40mg and gas x to control bloating, palpitations, and burning abdominal pain.
You could try taking some lighter antacids like gaviscon or pepcid until your stomach heals completely.

I don't eat any fried or grilled food. My diet is comprised of blended fruit smoothies with protein powder, blended vegetable soups, ground boiled chicken and some fish. Blending food helps because your stomach doesn't have to work as hard to digest it thereby relieving a lot of the uncomfortable h pylori symptoms. I discovered this after developing esophagitis.

I hope these tips help to being you some relief. Glad you are on the road to recovery. I hope to start another treatment once I'm able to swallow normally. I hear you regarding the the burden sentiment on your family. I have felt that way many times throughout this. It helps to take it one day at a time and not think about tomorrow or for how long will it be this way. That only makes you feel more impatient for a speedier recovery which isn't helpful when you're body isn't cooperating. Take care.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

H. pylori living in the stomach doesnt reduce the acid level.
H. pylori only produce a small ammonia "shield" to protect itself from the acid. And, it doesnt constantly produce the ammonia. When H. pylori reach the bottom of the mucus, where there is no acid, it turns off the ammonia production.

However, H. pylori can lead to inflammation which can destroy the acid producing cells. When you are young, these cells will regenerate. As you get older, the regeneration ability weaken. So your acid production only get worse and worse until there is no more acid production, then it becomes atrophic gastritis.

when you are infected with H. pylori, usually there will be inflammation. depending on the severity, in some cases, the mucus secretion will be damaged. Then, the acid start digesting your own stomach wall. This will lead to ulcer.

So, after you get rid of H. pylori, the inflammation cells will gradually retreat. Hopefully your mucus production will come back to normal. While the stomach is healing, you are prescribed PPI to buy time for the mucus producing cells to regenerate.

But we dont know how long will it take for the inflammation cells to go away. In most cases they will go away. But in some rare cases, it can becomes a bit auto-immune, where the inflammation doesnt want to go away.

Sometimes, the wound can become scarred, and the symptoms can be permanent.

anyway, PPI is only helpful if your problem is due to acid.

AMERC

Post by AMERC »

Has anyone experienced weight loss because of h pylori and how much have you lost,?

I have lost 10kg in 6months

Plotun

Post by Plotun »

AMERC wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:26 am
Has anyone experienced weight loss because of h pylori and how much have you lost,?

I have lost 10kg in 6months
Same here, 10 kg in 10 months, and I was skinny even before symptoms. Now I take Rabeprazole and it's hard on my stomach - side effects: nausea, stomach pain, constipation, anxiety... Think I will quit after 3 weeks.

msybb

Post by msybb »

I lost nearly 9 kg in 4 months. During the worse 3 weeks when I could only drink chicken broth, I lost 1 kg per week :(. My normal weight was about 48 kg. I have tried hard to put nearly 2kg so far, but sometime less when I couldn't eat a decent amount of food.

msybb

Post by msybb »

Helico_expert wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:21 am
The good news is, given that the H. pylori is now gone, your condition will gradually improve, at least not going worse.

the bad news is, some damage can be permanent. Usually happen more among the elderlies.

Most important is that you are now free of H. pylori. It is common for the patients to experience "episodes". From experience, the frequency of these episodes will gradually reduce and the duration becomes shorter.
Hi Helico_expert

Thanks for your reply “PPI to buy time for the mucus producing cells to regenerate”- does PPI achieve this by reducing stomach acid and so to reduce the irritation of the stomach lining, or by any other functions?

If auto-immune occurs, does it usually happen during HP infection or after HP eradicated? If HP has caused scars in the stomach lining, can the scars be detected under endoscope? I feel quite scared about the auto-immune and permanent scars. After the antibiotic treatment, I did feel my symptoms reduced significantly and could eat more and more food for a couple of weeks until I ate that disaster toast. My repeat episodes generally do last shorter than in the beginning after the treatment. Does this indicate that I may not have auto-immune or scars caused by HP in my stomach?

I have had acid reflux for several years before I had HP infection. I have been on and off omeprazole for several years, and took two continuous 2-month periods as part of the HP treatment. Now I only take omeprazole occasionally when I feel the acid in my stomach is quite bad. In the recent months I feel bad acid in my stomach again, particularly after I ate only a bit of sweet food. I don’t dare to continuously take omeprazole because I worry about the side effect of low acid production after long term use. I am taking DGL licorice instead which I feel help some. For my case, should I take omeprazole instead? Thanks

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”