Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Diagnosed with h pylori

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Helico123

Re: Diagnosed with h pylori

Post by Helico123 »

Thanks

newpylori

Post by newpylori »

Thanks very much. Can we interpret this to say if there are no oral complications / symptoms such as reflux, sore throat, mucus feel etc., then PPI is not needed and let stomach heal thru its own acid secretions?

Helico123

Post by Helico123 »

Helico_expert wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:16 pm
The sour taste is probably acid reflux. You can take some ranitidine to neutralise the acid.
you can continue ranitidine until the night before breath test.

having acid reflux doesnt mean you still have H. pylori. Some people just take longer to heal.
Hi, I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP to get my Breath test result which I did last week . For the first round of antibiotics, I took nexium HP7 as Following:
one 20 mg esomeprazole tablet in the morning and at night.
two 500 mg amoxicillin capsules in the morning and at night.
one 500 mg clarithromycin tablet in the morning and at night.
Metronidazole 3 Times per day if I remember right.

I thought that it would be great if I get your recommended types of antibiotics before my appointment in case my first treatment failed , so I can discuss with my GP if he prescribe me different antibiotics to the ones you recommended. Could you please advice your recommended antibiotics?

Thanks in advance

Helico123

Post by Helico123 »

Just an update of my treatment, I got my breath test result today, indicating I am h pylori negative.

Because I have severe chronic inflammation and intestinal metaplasia(IM), my GP asked me to take somac and Sucralfate for 6 months as he told that combination of these two medications may help to reverse my stomach inflammation and IM. I also get referral for another endoscopy in a year to check if the damage caused by H pylori get healed or not.

I will update my endoscopy histology next year here too for anyone concerning about intestinal metaplasia and it's reversibility.

Just a question, what is the disintegration per minute number mentioned in test result report?
Last edited by Helico123 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

congratulation in getting rid of your H. pylori.

disintegration per minute or DPM, is the measurement of radioactive isotopes from breath test.

The pill that you swallowed during breath test is actually made of radioactive urea. But dont worry. the radiation is so low, it's approved by FDA for children and pregnant women. Prof Marshall invented this test 30 years ago and had done extensive safety testing on it. it's so good, the exact test is still being use today.

anyway.. if you have H. pylori in your stomach, the radioactive urea will be broken down by HP into radioactive CO2 and normal NH3. The NH3 will be used by HP to neutralize the acid. The radioactive CO2 will be breath out.

if you dont have HP, the radioactive urea will pass your stomach into intestine, then later on broken down by other guts bacteria.

Helico123

Post by Helico123 »

Helico_expert wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:19 pm
congratulation in getting rid of your H. pylori.

disintegration per minute or DPM, is the measurement of radioactive isotopes from breath test.

The pill that you swallowed during breath test is actually made of radioactive urea. But dont worry. the radiation is so low, it's approved by FDA for children and pregnant women. Prof Marshall invented this test 30 years ago and had done extensive safety testing on it. it's so good, the exact test is still being use today.

anyway.. if you have H. pylori in your stomach, the radioactive urea will be broken down by HP into radioactive CO2 and normal NH3. The NH3 will be used by HP to neutralize the acid. The radioactive CO2 will be breath out.

if you dont have HP, the radioactive urea will pass your stomach into intestine, then later on broken down by other guts bacteria.
Thank you so much

Helico123

Post by Helico123 »

Hi,

I do wonder how much is the rate of false negative for breath test? I doubt it if I am really negative as my symptoms have persisted as it was before and it sounds that PPI medication does not work for me at all too.
My symptoms flare up every few days. I got acid reflux too and It is really getting frustrating for me.

It seems that this stomach issues are gonna be a lifetime problem as I knew many people with the stomach problem taking PPI and ranitidine for ages while complaining about inefficiency of those medications.

Any thoughts and suggestions about how I can get my symptoms to subside a bit?

Thanks

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

the false negative rate of breath test is low. However, how low is low?

what is your UBT value? the lower the number, the greater the accuracy in negative.
For example, in C13 UBT, if 4% is the cut off, and your reading is 3.5%. it's a negative. but i would say it is very suspicious. But if you get a reading of 1% or lower. Then I would say it is truly negative.

in regards to your symptoms, perhaps you can try some alternative medicines to calm it. mint tea, honey, ginger, probiotics, etc... some people shows that they help.

Helico123

Post by Helico123 »

Helico_expert wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:26 pm
the false negative rate of breath test is low. However, how low is low?

what is your UBT value? the lower the number, the greater the accuracy in negative.
For example, in C13 UBT, if 4% is the cut off, and your reading is 3.5%. it's a negative. but i would say it is very suspicious. But if you get a reading of 1% or lower. Then I would say it is truly negative.

in regards to your symptoms, perhaps you can try some alternative medicines to calm it. mint tea, honey, ginger, probiotics, etc... some people shows that they help.
I did not get any value for my test, just negative.

Could you please interpret what reading of 1% (for example) means? Does it mean that there is still a small track of h pylori in body? If yes, can that 1% colonize later again and get multiplied later?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

the 1% is background reading. nothing to worry about.

If you wait for a month, then repeat the breath test, any survival HP will grow up in mass, and will not give a 1% reading.

However, if your stomach is already weak in making acid, then other bacteria can grow. some bacteria can also produce urease enzyme that give weak positive UBT reading (or false positive).

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”