Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Diagnosed with h pylori

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Diagnosed with h pylori

Post by Helico_expert »

the sour taste is probably due to acid reflux. it's not necessary because of presence of H. pylori. It could be because of stopping PPI too quickly. You can imagine when a pipe is blocked.. and suddenly the blockage is removed. the water is going to burst out. So this is what happen to stopping PPI too quickly. you can start taking some ranitidine to control the symptoms. ranitidine will not affect the breath test. you can take ranitidine until the night before breath test.

Helico123

Post by Helico123 »

Hi,
I had a bit of research about intestinal metaplasia (IM) and reviewing some of the studies has been done about its prevalence and relevance with cancer. Most published paper and retrospective studies concluded that IM is irreversible and even eradication of h pylori cant stop its progression but slow down its progression. Considering the fact that 50 to 60 per cent of the world population is being infected with H pylori and only some of them will develop gastritis and few of patient with gastritis will end up to IM, can we really attribute incidence of IM to H pylori? I think there are many risk factors contributing to IM.
Also, in one study investigating the progression of IM after H pylori treatment, there was not a significant difference in IM worsening between still H pylori positive and negative patient in follow up endoscopy after h pylori treatment.
My question is if eradication of H pylori would not stop the progression of IM, what is the the benefit of eradication?
With regard to my biopsy , what would happen to my IM after H pylori eradication ( assuming it is not reversible), Would it progress further or extend to larger area?

I attached just one sample paper published among many which I read regarding the management of IM.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312926/

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I think first you need to understand that H. pylori is the root of the problem. Its presence attract inflammations and leads to massive damage to the stomach cells.

As you aged, your repair mechanism become weaken, stem cells are then recruited to do the repair job. Intestinal stem cells reach stomach quickly and start replacing the damaged stomach cells. Hence, the progression of IM.

If you do not kill of H. pylori, the damage will continue and IM will get worse.

However, since the IM does not produce mucous, they are sometimes killed by the stomach acid, and then the neighbouring stomach cell can do cell replication and fix the damage.

In the situation when the acid producing cells are also killed by the inflammation and replaced by intestinal stem cells, then the acid production reduced, and the IM stays.

As the IM continue to evolve, trying to make stomach more intestine like, plus the lack of acid, carcinogen from diet and other bacteria accumulate, then it can progress to cancer.

So in summary,
Yes, eradicating H. pylori is a must.
We should eradicate H. pylori before IM (before you get any symptoms).
There is always a chance for the reverse of IM. But, depending on the severity, an annual endoscopy is recommended to monitor the progress of IM.

Maria.b

Post by Maria.b »

Hi helico expert i have just read yr post on intestinal metaplasia i have been asking drs and google for over a yr and unless im thick never really understood why im occurs in some people and other are fine this explanation is fantastic and yr knowledge is amazing thanku so much u really are a great help to the community xXxX

Helico123

Post by Helico123 »

Thanks for the information. So for my case, I could still be optimistic to get my IM regressed since I had just focal IM and mild atrophy and some of my acid-secreting glands are intact, right?
Could you please advise if taking vitamin c supplement is helpful in the healing process?
Thanks for all your useful information and advice.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Yes, we should always be optimistic.
Yes, Vit C can prevent cancer.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0116060
Conclusion
This meta-analysis clearly demonstrated that low doses of vitamins can significantly reduce the risk of GC, especially vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E.

Helico123

Post by Helico123 »

Hi,
According to your explanation, the IM does not produce mucous, And can be killed by the stomach acid, and then the neighbouring stomach cell can do cell replication and fix the damage. If I understand right, acidic environment of stomach is good for healing of IM. I wonder whether taking ppl which reduce stomach acid prevent IM healing after H pylori eradication?

Thanks

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

The sour taste is probably acid reflux. You can take some ranitidine to neutralise the acid.
you can continue ranitidine until the night before breath test.

having acid reflux doesnt mean you still have H. pylori. Some people just take longer to heal.

newpylori

Post by newpylori »

Helico123 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:25 am
Hi,
According to your explanation, the IM does not produce mucous, And can be killed by the stomach acid, and then the neighbouring stomach cell can do cell replication and fix the damage. If I understand right, acidic environment of stomach is good for healing of IM. I wonder whether taking ppl which reduce stomach acid prevent IM healing after H pylori eradication?

Thanks
An interesting question... As one diagnosed with IM request helico expert please help us understand.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Hi,
I guess it's a catch 22. we need the acid to kill off bad bacteria or denature carcinogens. In the same time, we dont want acid to cause reflux and causes esophageal and oral cancer.

Here are some points.
Patients with atrophic gastritis, produce less acid, higher risk of gastric cancer.
The acid killing of IM is an unproven theory.
However, there are articles out there about long term PPI increasing gastric cancer rate.
Nevertheless, those patients who took long term PPI and developed gastric cancer, usually are those who were infected with H. pylori before.

https://gut.bmj.com/content/67/1/28

download/file.php?mode=view&id=64&sid=c ... 1fe670ca8f

As you can see from this table, you can interpret "with prior HP therapy" as patients who had H. pylori before.
and you can see that the categories where patients uses PPI without prior HP therapy are all low risk of gastric cancer.

In conclusion, I think the chance of long term PPI causing stomach cancer is lower than not taking PPI and develop other throat and mouth complication. Therefore, if PPI can control the reflux symptoms, patients should continue PPI. Meanwhile, patients with IM, should go for annual endoscopy follow up.
Attachments
table5.JPG

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”