Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Questions about H.Pylori, Testing, Diet, Intestinal Metaplasia and Hiatal Hernia

New things in the forums might be highlighted here. Take a look at the avatars! Get yourself one, there are hundreds to choose from.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Questions about H.Pylori, Testing, Diet, Intestinal Metaplasia and Hiatal Hernia

Post by Helico_expert »

In my earlier asked question you said that "when the doctor takes a biopsy from your stomach for histology examination, the biopsy is only a very small part of the whole stomach. If the doctor did not pick the metaplasia part, then histology will not show", so does that mean that one can never be 100% sure that intestinal metaplasia has reversed??????????

no test is 100%. Usually gastroenterologist would pick a biopsy from regions he thinks is suspicious. of course, there is chance that he could miss. Then again, if he missed it, it's probably very mild. So dont get too paranoid about it. Since it's a very very chronic problem, you can get another endoscopy done next year to see the progress.

H. heilmanii is the same as H. pylori. Probably even weaker than H. pylori in terms of resistance against antibiotics. As animals are less exposure to antibiotics like human. Usually H. heilmannii is pretty easy to kill off.

As for what marker for immuno stain, he can try some polyclonal anti-H. pylori antibody.

If someone infected with h pylori, do they clearly specify and mention in the histology report as H pylori? Or they just report any type including h pylori just as helicobacter-like organism?
It's impossible for pathologist to identify which type of Helicobacter species. Some experienced pathologist would see slight difference between H. pylori and other species. But they since they cannot tell which Helicobacter, they can only comment that on H. pylori-like organism.

It would be interesting if I was not infected with H pylori. Can helicobactor heilmanni cause intestinal metaplasia too?
good question. I dont know if ALL H. heilmanii would cause harm. Since only the carrier with symptoms visited the doctors. And usually those with symptoms, will have some sort of gastritis and that can lead to intestinal metaplasia.

It's very rare for other Helicobacter species to infect human. Each Helicobacter species have their specific host. That's why Prof. Marshall failed to find a good animal model to demonstrate his theory, and he has to drink H. pylori himself!

Steve H.

Re: Questions about H.Pylori, Testing, Diet, Intestinal Metaplasia and Hiatal Hernia

Post by Steve H. »

Greetings Helico Expert,

No words are enough to thank you and your team for giving the support, time and showing kindness towards people suffering from H. Pylori infection by providing the needed advises and information. Honestly, it seems as if you guys are God sent.

My only question that remained un-answered is, kindly advice me on the treatment regime prescribed by the doctor to me the third time around. He has prescribed, Amoxicillin 1 gm + Levofloxacin 500 mg + Pantoprazole 40 mg and Bismuth Subcitrate (120 mg - Two Tablets each time), all medicines are to be taken twice a day for 14 days. So the question is, should I take this medication regime even though the report says "specialized and non-specialized gastric mucosa with mild chronic focally active gastritis Helicobacter Pylori organism?" Will the prescribed treatment regime work or is it better than the last treatment with Clarithromycin????????

I have not started taking this medication and I am waiting for your advice and feedback before I start taking the prescribed medication.

Thanks & Stay Blessed
Last edited by Steve H. on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steve H.

Post by Steve H. »

Helico123 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:42 pm
Sorry for jumping into your topic, my histology report after endoscopy also shown helicobactor-like organisms.
before reading this post, I have thought that I was certainly infected with H pylori.
When they report as helicobactor-organism, does that mean the pathologist was not 100 % sure that which type of helicobacter bacteria it was?

If someone infected with h pylori, do they clearly specify and mention in the histology report as H pylori? Or they just report any type including h pylori just as helicobacter-like organism?

It would be interesting if I was not infected with H pylori. Can helicobactor heilmanni cause intestinal metaplasia too?
Hi Helico123,

When I got the report it said "H.Pylori like organism found" and the term "H. Pylori like organism" is not good enough especially when you are told you have H. Pylori with intestinal metaplasia. So, I got on this forum and asked this question last year and Helico Expert most kindly advised me to get an immunostain done to be certain. I waited for more than a year and 4 months after the treatment for H. Pylori to get another endoscopy to check on intestinal metaplasia, even thou I had tested negative for H. Pylori in both Urea Breath Test and Stool Antigen Test. Thank God after endoscopy and biopsy, I found out that intestinal metaplasia is no more but I am again infected with H. Pylori for the third time, so I now do plan to get an immunostain done, once I get the results I will update. My advise to you would be to take Vitamin C supplements as it does help with intestinal metaplasia, but do try to get the one without ascorbic acid and stay connected to this forum it really helps.

Good Luck to You

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

My only question that remained un-answered is, kindly advice me on the treatment regime prescribed by the doctor to me the third time around. He has prescribed, Amoxicillin 1 gm + Levofloxacin 500 mg + Pantoprazole 40 mg and Bismuth Subcitrate (120 mg - Two Tablets each time), all medicines are to be taken twice a day for 14 days. So the question is, should I take this medication regime even though the report says "specialized and non-specialized gastric mucosa with mild chronic focally active gastritis Helicobacter Pylori organism?" Will the prescribed treatment regime work or is it better than the last treatment with Clarithromycin????????
Yup. Go ahead with that treatment. We called it the PBAC treatment.
PPI + Bismuth + Amox + Ciprofloxacin (or levofloxacin)

this treatment has over 90% cure rate from our multidrug resistant patients.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23072648

Helico123

Post by Helico123 »

Steve H. wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:06 pm
Helico123 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:42 pm
Sorry for jumping into your topic, my histology report after endoscopy also shown helicobactor-like organisms.
before reading this post, I have thought that I was certainly infected with H pylori.
When they report as helicobactor-organism, does that mean the pathologist was not 100 % sure that which type of helicobacter bacteria it was?

Hi Helico123,

When I got the report it said "H.Pylori like organism found" and the term "H. Pylori like organism" is not good enough especially when you are told you have H. Pylori with intestinal metaplasia. So, I got on this forum and asked this question last year and Helico Expert most kindly advised me to get an immunostain done to be certain. I waited for more than a year and 4 months after the treatment for H. Pylori to get another endoscopy to check on intestinal metaplasia, even thou I had tested negative for H. Pylori in both Urea Breath Test and Stool Antigen Test. Thank God after endoscopy and biopsy, I found out that intestinal metaplasia is no more but I am again infected with H. Pylori for the third time, so I now do plan to get an immunostain done, once I get the results I will update. My advise to you would be to take Vitamin C supplements as it does help with intestinal metaplasia, but do try to get the one without ascorbic acid and stay connected to this forum it really helps.

Good Luck to You
Thanks Steve, it would be great if you could share your result for anyone concerning about h pylori here.

Steve H.

Post by Steve H. »

Helico_expert wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:37 am
Yup. Go ahead with that treatment. We called it the PBAC treatment.
PPI + Bismuth + Amox + Ciprofloxacin (or levofloxacin)

this treatment has over 90% cure rate from our multidrug resistant patients.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23072648
Thanks as always Helico Expert, will update after I finish the treatment.

Steve H.

Post by Steve H. »

Helico123 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:05 pm
Thanks Steve, it would be great if you could share your result for anyone concerning about h pylori here.
Sure, Helico123.

Steve H.

Post by Steve H. »

Greetings,

It has been almost two months since I had the endoscopy, the result showed "specialized and non-specialized gastric mucosa with mild chronic focally active gastritis Helicobacter Pylori organism?" as already mentioned in my previous post the doctor said there was no need for antibiotic therapy but on my insisting he said if I prefer I can take Amoxicillin 1 gm + Levofloxacin 500 mg + Pantoprazole 40 mg and Bismuth Subcitrate (120 mg - Two Tablets each time), all medicines are to be taken twice a day for 14 days. I asked you on this forum and you also said that it is a good regime and I can take it, but before taking the antibiotic regime I wanted to try out a naturopath.

Since it was the third time my endoscopy showed H.Pylori and after two antibiotic treatments in last 12 years as mentioned in my earlier post, I tried taking a herbal concoction and the naturopath prescribing suggested that I finish his treatment and then get the test done. I followed his advise and after finishing his treatment regime I waited for a week and with suspicions got the stool antigen test done last week, and to my utter surprise the H. Pylori antigen test result came negative. So in order to be sure that I am negative for H. Pylori I am going for a UBT after two days.

Now, I would like to know your opinion and take on the herbal concoction and also I wanted to find out if taking Gaviscon (aluminum hydroxide and magnesium carbonate suspension) or Alumina Magnesia/Simethicone would effect the test result for Stool antigen or UBT.

Thanks again for your help.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

antacids like Gaviscon can suppress H. pylori, but weakly. You only need to stop Gaviscon the night before the stool or UBT.

Here is a guideline to UBT, it applies to stool test too.
https://www.helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf

I am glad that your alternative treatment work. We dont normally recommend alternative medicine because the low success rate. Usually only a small group of people benefit.

try to get an actual reading of your UBT, not just positive and negative. Remember to ask for the threshold value.

Steve H.

Post by Steve H. »

Thanks Helico Expert, Once I get the UBT done I will l let you know the actual reading or values. Once again Thanks a lot.

Return to “Hot Topics and Common forum Issues 热门话题和常见问题”