Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Positive Stool Sample Test -- Why Endoscopy & What Test for Spouse?

H.pylori bacteria in the stomach will pass through the bowel and parts of the bacteria will end up in the feaces. To detect the bacteria a feces sample (only 1 or 2 grams is required) is refrigerated and sent to the lab. In the lab antibodies are used to show up presence of bacter (called ELISA testing). These tests can be made in a dipstick form for near-patient diagnosis. the accuracy of these tests varies but is about 90%. This is a test for ACTIVE CURRENT INFECTION so it can be used after treatment to see if H.pylori is gone. It is also an easy one for little children as no needle is required and no fasting or other preparation of the patient needs to be done.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Statchmo

Positive Stool Sample Test -- Why Endoscopy & What Test for Spouse?

Post by Statchmo »

Hi, I was just diagnosed with H Pylori via a stool test and have just started my 14 days of antibiotics. My GP also referred me to a gastro doc for an endoscopy. My question is, if we know I am positive for H Pylori and am already doing the standard treatment, what is the point of the endoscopy? As you would expect, I will not get in to see the gastro doc immediately, and then a scheduled scope could be weeks after that -- at best that procedure is probably at least a month away. I am not opposed to the endoscopy, and I do understand the idea of biopsies for stomach cancer (although my symptoms are relatively mild and indicate a possible ulcer, and not stomach cancer), but I do want to understand the medical thinking here before I end up spending close to $1000 on the endoscopy (and that is with "good" insurance!)

My symptoms for the past month have been nausea after eating (sometimes immediately, sometimes 2-3 hours later), mild abdominal cramping, and heartburn. I waited several weeks before going in to see a doctor, during which time I severely limited my food intake in both amounts, and food choices, resulting in approximately a 10-pound weight loss -- but it was the only way I could continue to function and go to work, which is a financial necessity. After a couple of weeks of chicken broth and soda crackers, plus lots of water, I was able to start eating again, but I have almost entirely limited myself to eggs and oatmeal b/c they don't seem to bother my stomach, and while I have gained back about 5 pounds of what I lost, I know I still do not feel like myself. I was SHOCKED when the doc told me she suspected an ulcer, but then when she wanted to do the test for H Pylori and I read about the connection to stomach ulcers, I understood.

Part 2 of my question is this: my husband tested positive for H. Pylori back in 2014 when he got terribly sick and ended up in the hospital. After an overnight stay there, what turned out to be a completely unnecessary appendectomy (!!! it was 100% healthy!!!) and a colonoscopy that showed nothing, a FRIEND suggested the H Pylori test, which he got, and when it came back positive, began the antibiotic regime -- which HE NEVER FINISHED b/c the side effects he said were worse than what landed him in the hospital in the first place. Now he is kicking himself b/c he believes he probably is the one who infected me and caused my current situation, SO ... I told him he needs to go get tested AGAIN and if positive, take and COMPLETE his course of antibiotics. But WHICH TEST should he have given his history, blood or stool?

Thanks so much -- so grateful to have found this forum.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Positive Stool Sample Test -- Why Endoscopy & What Test for Spouse?

Post by Helico_expert »

if you had not had an endoscopy before, i think it's good to have one done.
one month after you completed your HP treatment sounds like a good time. Your gastroenterologist will be able to tell if your treatment works. Remember to ask him for a histology report. That would give you a baseline of your current stomach condition in case you need another one in the future to compare with.

Tell your husband not to blame himself too much on passing it to you. It's quite rare for adults to transmit H. pylori, especially if you keep your oral clean (eg. brushing teeth). Normally we catch H. pylori when we are 2 years old, from our mother. We have seen many cases where married couple never pass H. pylori to each other because of the good oral hygiene.

in regards to your husband's treatment, you are right about getting a checkup first before the next treatment. He cannot rely on blood test. Stool or breath test is good. If he is still positive, then he will have to take another course of antibiotics that is different from the previous one.

Statchmo

Post by Statchmo »

Thank you for this reply! My husband went in and they did the breath test -- now we are waiting for the results. Surprisingly the doctor did not want to test him, because he doesn't have symptoms right now. He had to insist on it -- you would think given that he tested positive for it several years ago and never completed the antibiotic regime at that time, they would understand the necessity, esp. given my situation, which was communicated. Anyway it will be interesting to see the results.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Do keep us posted with your husband's result. try to get the raw data of the breath test result. Not just positive and negative. I think it's good to know how positive is the positive result or how negative is the negative result.

Siev

Post by Siev »

Hello I am new on this forum sorry if my post it s not on the right place
10 weeks ago I took quad therapy for H Pylori (pozitiv Breath test,negativ Blood test) (i took 7 days metronidazole,clarithromycin,bismuth and nexium, and another 3 weeks nexium)
I got retested and came back negativ on hp (biopsy and stool test) I am now 10 weeks post treatment but i still have stomach pain and i am questioning the fact that i am negativ because the biopsy was made 2 days after i stopped nexium and stool test i was on mastic gum
Do.you think can be false negative?
Thank you

Statchmo

Post by Statchmo »

He came back negative and they told him they had no "raw data," that it was just negative. Very happy for him, as I soldier on through my 14 days of antibiotics!

Helico_expert wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:00 am
Do keep us posted with your husband's result. try to get the raw data of the breath test result. Not just positive and negative. I think it's good to know how positive is the positive result or how negative is the negative result.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

very good then.

I think we should appreciate the idea that you did not pass the H. pylori to your husband before treatment. The concept of H. pylori is hard to transmit among adults who has good oral hygiene.

Statchmo

Post by Statchmo »

Yes, very relieved, but both of us absolutely stunned he came back negative since he was positive for it in 2014 and never completed his antibiotics to eradicate it (I believe literally he only took them for 3-5 days maximum due to the side effects). Cannot figure out how it's possible he doesn't have it anymore and now I do.
Helico_expert wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:52 am
very good then.

I think we should appreciate the idea that you did not pass the H. pylori to your husband before treatment. The concept of H. pylori is hard to transmit among adults who has good oral hygiene.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

since it is quite difficult for adult to catch H. pylori, we believe that we catch H. pylori when we are young. studies have shown that Children as young as 2 years old is already infected with H. pylori.

So we caught H. pylori from our mother when we are young and remain asymptomatic until we reach around 20 years old, where most people finished high school and start experiencing stress from work or university life. Also, as we get older, our repair mechanism becomes slower or poorer. So cancer risk increase when we are over 50 years old.

mitul_108

Post by mitul_108 »

Helico_expert wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:01 am
Also, as we get older, our repair mechanism becomes slower or poorer.
How can we boost repair mechanism???

Return to “Faeces Antigen Tests (stool samples)”