Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Penicillin allergy

The cure of Hp usually requires antibiotics. Other things have been tried and have a weaker effect.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni, luci2010, Ondek-Expert, kkimura

Plotun

Re: Penicillin allergy

Post by Plotun »

Helico_expert wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:16 pm
with famotidine or any H2 blockers, you only need to fast for 6 hrs before breath test

Here is a guide of how long you need to stop taking the acid suppressants and antibiotics.

https://helico.com/PYtest_guide_2013.pdf
Thank You. So, if UBT comes negative too, can we assume that I'm free of h.pylori?

And they said that test shows Units, is this better than the other one qualitative?
Last edited by Plotun on Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

in simple term and normal situation, a negative breath test would mean free of H. pylori.

Then again, an experienced doctor would want to find out how negative is the negative test.
If the negative cut off was 50 dpm and your breath test result was 49, it will be a suspicious negative. especially if the test doesnt come with a "indeterminant zone".

In Australia, the breath test with reading lower than 50 dpm is negative and over 200 dpm is positive. A reading in between 50 and 200 is classified as indeterminant zone and would ask the patient to repeat the test a few weeks later.

many diagnostic kit companies try to make it simple for the technician to operate or the doctor to understand, they only provide positive or negative result without the readings. Some, remove the indeterminant zone so it is easier to understand.

Plotun

Post by Plotun »

Helico_expert wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:33 pm
in simple term and normal situation, a negative breath test would mean free of H. pylori.

Then again, an experienced doctor would want to find out how negative is the negative test.
If the negative cut off was 50 dpm and your breath test result was 49, it will be a suspicious negative. especially if the test doesnt come with a "indeterminant zone".

In Australia, the breath test with reading lower than 50 dpm is negative and over 200 dpm is positive. A reading in between 50 and 200 is classified as indeterminant zone and would ask the patient to repeat the test a few weeks later.

many diagnostic kit company tried to make it simple for the technician to operate or the doctor to understand, they only provide positive or negative result without the readings. Some, remove the indeterminant zone so it is easier to understand.
And they said that test shows Units, is this better than the other one qualitative?

Edit: ok, Thank You again.

And which one is more accurate, C13 or C14?

This lab use C14.

Plotun

Post by Plotun »

I have one more question. This thing was always unclear to me.

Hypothetically, is it possible that, if the person was previously negative, and today get infected, do the UBT / stool test in 2 days and the test show positive. Is it possible that test could be positive only 24 hours after person get infected, or does it take longer period for H.pylori detection in stool and breath test?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

because breath test react directly on the pathogen. and you will need sufficient load of bacteria to react to the urea pill generate enough reading for the test.

since H. pylori is a slow growing organism and the initial infection is probably a very small number of bacteria. 24 hours is probably not enough to grow into mass. It'll probably take a week for the bacteria to colonise everywhere.

Plotun

Post by Plotun »

Helico_expert wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:03 am
because breath test react directly on the pathogen. and you will need sufficient load of bacteria to react to the urea pill generate enough reading for the test.

since H. pylori is a slow growing organism and the initial infection is probably a very small number of bacteria. 24 hours is probably not enough to grow into mass. It'll probably take a week for the bacteria to colonise everywhere.
Thank You,

I've decided to wait one more week to retest via UBT. Want to get more reliable breath test (2 weeks off famotidine) and see if I could get reinfected from my partner, although she maintains good oral hygiene, but sometimes has minor burping reflux.

Plotun

Post by Plotun »

Helico_expert:

I spoke to my GP today and he recommended another endoscopy, but they do not provide biopsy and histology or rapid urease test. He said that a rapid stool test would be reliable, and I have got it recently - result negative, but some sources do not recommend rapid immunochromatography stool test because of lower sensitivity compared to enzyme immunoassay stool test. What are the guidelines in Australia regarding the stool test? What is your opinion on this? I desperately want to know what condition my stomach is in, and I know this is only possible through endoscopy, but on the other hand, they are not able to provide biopsy. Is it possible to detect inactive chronic gastritis on endoscopy without a biopsy? I am in a dilemma, whether to do only a UBT or endoscopy and another rapid stool test besides to make sure I am free of H.pylori.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

If you had recently done an endoscopy (within 12 months), and there is nothing wrong, there is not need another one until you have very bad symptoms.

If you had recently done an endoscopy (within 12 months, and there is something wrong, eg. ulcers or metaplasia, then you can organise a follow up 12 months later (after the previous endoscopy), to examine the recovery or progress of the metaplasia.

If you were going to get an endoscopy, you should get biopsy for CLOtest and perhaps also measure the pH of the stomach juice. CLOtest is a rapid urease test for quick diagnosis of H. pylori. If the stomach juice is acidic, then the CLOtest must be accurate.

Plotun

Post by Plotun »

Helico_expert wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:19 am
If you had recently done an endoscopy (within 12 months), and there is nothing wrong, there is not need another one until you have very bad symptoms.

If you had recently done an endoscopy (within 12 months, and there is something wrong, eg. ulcers or metaplasia, then you can organise a follow up 12 months later (after the previous endoscopy), to examine the recovery or progress of the metaplasia.

If you were going to get an endoscopy, you should get biopsy for CLOtest and perhaps also measure the pH of the stomach juice. CLOtest is a rapid urease test for quick diagnosis of H. pylori. If the stomach juice is acidic, then the CLOtest must be accurate.
I've done endoscopy recently, 5 months ago. Report - chronic gastritis and bulbitis due to H.pylori, but they did not provide biopsy, histology or CLO test. My GP based diagnose on the visual findings. Is it possible that ulcers or atrophic gastritis/metaplasia develop from chronic gastritis in such a short period time (5 months since last endoscopy) ?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

It usually take a long time to develop. But metaplasia is hard to visualise. You can only diagnose metaplasia by histology.

Return to “Treatment for Helicobacter 幽门螺杆菌治疗”