Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Questions regarding H. Pylori Treatment

The cure of Hp usually requires antibiotics. Other things have been tried and have a weaker effect.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni, luci2010, Ondek-Expert, kkimura

Atrix

Re: Questions regarding H. Pylori Treatment

Post by Atrix »

Al Here wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:35 pm
When supplementing with bismuth, does it make a difference if it’s bismuth subcitrate or bismuth subsalicylate? Also, is it better to take the liquid or pill form or does it not make a difference?
When searching for an answer to the same question I stumbled upon a research paper on the internet claiming a little higher efficacy for bismuth subcitrate..

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Probably.
if you can get hold of it, go for it. otherwise, I think any other bismuth compound would work too.

Al Here

Post by Al Here »

How come you guys do 10-day first line treatment over the 14-day? Is there much of a difference? I really want to do mine for only 10 days to reduce damage to the microbiome.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

10 days is like 90%
14 days is like 95%

so we think 90% is high enough. in return, our patients get less adverse side effect.

but for our very antibiotic resistant patients, we would also do 14 days.

Al Here

Post by Al Here »

So the chances of eradication are still in my favor if I do my treatment for 10 days? I haven’t missed a dose and I’ve been supplementing the treatment with bismuth 250mg 3-4 times a day and I started doing that about 2-3 days into my treatment. I’ve never taken any of the antibiotics I’m taking for this treatment so I’m hoping the h. Pylori i have doesn’t have much resistance to them but I am from Romania. Any idea what clarithromicyn resistance rate is in Romania/Eastern Europe? Although, I have lived in the United States most of my life (since the age of 6, I’m 22 now) so I definitely could’ve got H. Pylori here. Around how much of the good bacteria in the gut is wiped out by this treatment or how much is the micobiome effected? Also, if eradication isn’t successful, would I have to start another course of antibiotics right away or could I wait until this pandemic passes over and just use natural remedies to keep the h. Pylori at bay for the time being? I am not comfortable at all taking this many antibiotics during this time. I have a study I came across which concerned me about taking antibiotics during this time. This is the study I am referring to: https://www.crick.ac.uk/news/2019-07-02 ... n-the-lung

In this study, they gave the mice ampicillin, vancomycin, metronidazole, and gentamicin for 3-4 weeks. Mice that didn’t take the antibiotics course and mice that did take it were then all injected with the flu. 80% of the mice that didn’t take the antibiotics survived it, while only 1/3 of the mice that did take the antibiotics survived. This was because the antibiotics messed with the gut microbiome signaling to the lungs and delayed/disrupted the lungs first line of defense so the virus was able to multiply much more quickly. Do you think this is potentially applicable in humans and more specifically with the medications I am taking and for the period of time I am taking them?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

If you dont normally take antibiotics, the of having a resistance strain will be low. But nothing is 100%. sporadic mutation can still happen from bad luck. Anyway, staying positive is important.

in regards to antibiotics may weaken lung immunity, it may be true. some of our patients did talk about flu-like symptoms during the treatment. However, you are on high dose of antibiotics, most of the bacteria will be suppressed. and almost all our patients successfully have their H. pylori eradicated.

microbiome is a very hot topic now. but colleagues have shown that in most people, microbiome can recover very quickly within 1-2 weeks. Probably due to the diet habit. whatever you eat, is going to shape the living condition in the guts and only suitable for a particular microbiota profile. So for the first two weeks, your guts microbiota will be disturbed. but gradually they will adjust themselves and go back to your normal condition. So dont worry too much.

Al Here

Post by Al Here »

So in your opinion, would you recommend I stick the treatment out for the full 14 days or would I be okay with just doing the 10 days? I know there’s probably no right answer but what would you recommend to your patients in this situation? Maybe I could do 12 days just Incase? I believe I’ve taken Flagyl before and amoxicillin but never clarithromicyn if I remember correctly. Also, I currently have yogurt, kefir, and kombucha. Would you recommend taking these during/after treatment too?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

Your doctor is responsible for your overall well being. He would understand better which of the 10 days or a 14 days is better in your region.

If you have no adverse side effect, you should try your best to complete the treatment as prescribe.

Since you have not had clarithromycin before for other diseases, it's ok to have it this time for HP.

yogurt, kefir, and kombucha are fine during the treatment.

Al Here

Post by Al Here »

There was a study done on the effects of taking probiotics during/after antibiotics treatment. This study showed that taking probiotics during/after treatment actually delayed the return of a pre-antibiotic/regular microbiome drastically. One group was given a 11 strain probiotic supplement while the other was given placebo. The group that took the probiotics didn’t return to a fully restored microbiome even at the 6-month point while the group that didn’t take the probiotics only took 3 weeks to return to a normal microbiome. Do you think this is applicable to things like kombucha, kefir etc. or just to the probiotic supplement? Also, my doctor said I could take the treatment for 10 days if I wish but that we “may see that the infection doesn’t clear with this shorter course”. They also said that bismuth won’t do much to boost treatment or anything but I can still take it if I wish. I am still taking it to boost the cure rate and hopefully avoid C. Diff complication.

This is an article that cites the study I am referring to: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... antibiotic

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I dont have information about probiotic. but I think people who takes probiotics during the treatment is to prevent bad bacteria overgrow and reduce the side effect.

people who takes probiotics after antibiotics are like normal people taking probiotics. The probiotics will impact on your "normal" microbiome. At least that is the purpose of probiotics. In my opinion, probiotics is meant for people who's "normal" microbiome is bad. So they hope to introduce some good bacteria to disturb the "imbalance" and hopefully have better and healthier digestive system.

I think the real question is, will this change of microbiome because of probiotic good?
if it prevents bad bacteria growing, i think that's ok.
if the change of microbiota is not causing trouble, i think that's ok.

I also think that there are many types of probiotics out there. You may have to find the one that most suit you.

Return to “Treatment for Helicobacter 幽门螺杆菌治疗”