Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Contagious!? Confused!

How do you catch Hp? From your mother when she kisses you? From brothers and sisters as a small child? From sexual partners as adults (kissing)? From dirty water (fecal contamination)? From animals? Who knows???

Moderators: barjammar, Toni, stomach

Sandra40

Contagious!? Confused!

Post by Sandra40 »

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with h pylori for the second time. First time 15 years ago.

from my understanding,it seems that this bacteria is inherent in all of us. If that is the case, how does one 'catch' it?? Is it more to do with individuals, their diet, immune system? I mean does it tend to cause over growth in people with weakened immune systems for example?

Both times I have had it have been when I have been under a particular stressful time .... got me wondering!

Grateful for any thoughts.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: Contagious!? Confused!

Post by Helico_expert »

H. pylori infection is not inherited. However, evidence showed that people do get it when they are young. In Japan, children as young as 2 yr old is already found infected. In addition, if mother is positive for H. pylori, it is more likely that the children or family to be positive for infection. Therefore, the currently hypothesis is the carer is transmitting the infection. It is also possible to infected from child care where children constantly chewing toys and share among other children.

It's harder for adult to transmit H. pylori among adult because of hygiene control. It's even harder now in modern century and developed country where there is excellent water treatment plant. In old days and maybe some developing countries where water is still contaminated, I would think almost everyone is infected. That's why you'll see more older patients and far less young patients in developed countries.

In regards to your 2nd infection. As mention, it's not easy for adult to be transmitted, therefore I think your first treatment failed and the bacteria just hid itself for 15 years. Anyway, after your current treatment, remember to do a breath test to confirm the eradication.

Sandra40

Post by Sandra40 »

Thank you so much for your reply.

My six year old son should be tested then? When you said it 'hid',could it have caused damage? I never had problems during those 15 years - only in the last year.

Many thanks,

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

if children has no symptom, it's not recommend to treat it. the antibiotics may do more harm than good to the children. Also, a group of scientists in the US is suggesting that H. pylori is good for children. It stimulates the children's immune system and so children are less likely to be allergic.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 121528.htm

a lot of the people in the world is infected by H. pylori and they are asymptomatic. it's estimated that half the world population is infected with H. pylori and only 10% with symptoms. Nevertheless, the risk of stomach complication increases after 50 years old and so treatment is recommended.

Sandra40

Post by Sandra40 »

Thank you. Very helpful. I think I will get them tested anyway and hope for a negative!

anglenasalt

Post by anglenasalt »

When you said it 'hid',could it have caused damage? I never had problems during those 15 years - only in the last year.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

H. pylori infection will always cause some sort of inflammation in the stomach lining. Although asymptomatic, it is after all related to ulcers and cancers. Therefore I would recommend for its eradication for patients over 50 yrs old.

anglenasalt

Post by anglenasalt »

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with h pylori for the second time. First time 15 years ago.

Last edited by anglenasalt on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

then you should ask yourself if you want to be treated

ahmacias

Post by ahmacias »

I have read much about HP and am also confused about which course of action to take. In my case, my doctor tried to treat it 3 times with 3 different regimens (antibiotics, bismuth, etc.) and I was unable to tolerate the regimens for the prescribed amount of time. I developed very bothersome symptoms---for example, I felt as if hives were growing inside my throat...I believe that the longest I ever tolerated any of those regimens (taking as many as 16 pills a day) was about 7 days. each time I tested positive afterwards. Now 8 years later, I took a stool test and am positive for HP. What is the option for treatment when I cannot tolerate the preferred modes of treatment? I do not feel any symptoms. I am 63 years old and otherwise healthy; no history of cancer on either side of the family. However, I am worried about having this in my stomach, knowing that it's causing inflammation even if I don't feel any symptoms.

Should I be doing an endoscopy? how often? any other recommendations? This week my doctor suggested trying treatment again with flamoxicillin...but I'm hesitant knowing that I am quite sensitive to medications.

Return to “Epidemiology and Transmission ( How do you catch it?) 幽门螺杆菌的传播”