Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

H Pylori Gastritis + Vitamin D Deficiency

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Kanz1

H Pylori Gastritis + Vitamin D Deficiency

Post by Kanz1 »

Hello everyone, I'm very glad to have found a community that can help each other with HP and its various complications.

For me personally, I've been struggling with mild chronic gastritis caused by HP since October, which has since been eradicated. However, the gastritis itself still feels like it's there. Even when I'm on high-dose PPI for months now, that burning sensation below my sternum can still be felt sometimes. I also got bad GERD symptoms, some of which have gone away with the PPI.

Come to find out recently, I'm also Vitamin D Deficient(11 ng/ml, borderline severe), which has been causing me a bunch of other symptoms. I know a part of it has to do with Covid-era environment and not being out in the sun much these days. But part of me wonders, could this possibly relate to the gastritis? I can't help but think of a cause-and-effect relationship here in a sense. Like could the gastritis have led to this Vitamin D deficiency(my diet has changed since the gastritis diagnosis but I still consume Vitamin D food such as eggs and fish), or am I healing slowly even after getting rid of HP because of the low Vitamin D levels?

If anyone has a good idea about how these two conditions relate to one another, I would greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts :)

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: H Pylori Gastritis + Vitamin D Deficiency

Post by Helico_expert »

how did you confirm the H. pylori eradication?

H. pylori is less likely to cause vit D deficiency. However, not much study has been done on this.

Kanz1

Post by Kanz1 »

I confirmed it through a breath test. That was after I did the treatment of two doses of PPI and two antibiotics a day for two weeks. After that, I was supposed to keep on the PPI for 2 more months before confirming eradication, but I felt like if it wasn't eradicated then I was just wasting my time. So I talked to my doctor and I stopped the PPI for two weeks before getting tested. H Pylori was negative. The only real noticeable difference since then was my stools have become way more normal, I used to think I had IBS.

I guess I'm more concerned about the Vitamin D deficiency interfering with my stomach recovering from the effects of H Pylori, specifically the gastritis/erythema that was diagnosed, because I know Vitamin D is anti-inflammatory and is very crucial to a healthy immune system and recovery. I know I've been healing much slower than expected from a fungal skin infection too, which I now think is mainly due to not having enough Vitamin D in my blood, so could the same thing be happening in my stomach?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I am less familiar with the correlation of Vitamin D and H. pylori.
After doing some quick search, it seems like Vit D is helping the clearing of H. pylori. But I am not sure the mechanism behind.

Achilles

Post by Achilles »

Kanz1 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:33 pm
I confirmed it through a breath test. That was after I did the treatment of two doses of PPI and two antibiotics a day for two weeks. After that, I was supposed to keep on the PPI for 2 more months before confirming eradication, but I felt like if it wasn't eradicated then I was just wasting my time. So I talked to my doctor and I stopped the PPI for two weeks before getting tested. H Pylori was negative. The only real noticeable difference since then was my stools have become way more normal, I used to think I had IBS.

I guess I'm more concerned about the Vitamin D deficiency interfering with my stomach recovering from the effects of H Pylori, specifically the gastritis/erythema that was diagnosed, because I know Vitamin D is anti-inflammatory and is very crucial to a healthy immune system and recovery. I know I've been healing much slower than expected from a fungal skin infection too, which I now think is mainly due to not having enough Vitamin D in my blood, so could the same thing be happening in my stomach?
Hi Kanz1,
I had similar issue. My biopsy result came negative for H pylori and I was on PPI for 2 months. I was having joint pains, back pain, soft stools and dark yellow urine. Doctor checked calcium, phosporus serum and Vitamin D. The first two results came normal, however Vitamin D results were very low ~25nmol/L. Since then I started supplements 50Kiu a week. My joint pains subsided, however I still have issue with soft stools and in past few days the frequency increased to 3-4 soft stools a day.
Can it be after affects of H-Pylori? or some other underlying cause?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

H. pylori has more to do with upper gastric problems. However, the inflammation caused may go to other organs via blood supply. I dont think H. pylori has direct causation to loose stool. But will inflammation lead to microbiome change and then loose stool? maybe.

Achilles

Post by Achilles »

Helico_expert wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:45 pm
H. pylori has more to do with upper gastric problems. However, the inflammation caused may go to other organs via blood supply. I dont think H. pylori has direct causation to loose stool. But will inflammation lead to microbiome change and then loose stool? maybe.
Thanks Helico Expert.
What do you suggest in my case? My doctor said that there was reddness and inflammation in the stomach when he performed the endoscopy (in Dec'20)
How do I reduce the inflammation?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

I assume your gastroenterologist understand H. pylori and your result is not false negative.

In some rare cases, we do come across people with gastric inflammation without H. pylori. We still dont understand why causes the inflammation. To date, only H. pylori is known to cause infection in the stomach.

It is also possible that after H. pylori eradication, your immune cells remain active in the stomach and continuously causing the inflammation. There is no cure for this. You just have to wait till they go away. If you are free of H. pylori, the inflammation will eventually go away.

Achilles

Post by Achilles »

Thanks Helico Expert.

One update - I checked with my another Gastro doctor about the soft stools (3-4 times a day) and bright yellow urine.
He suggested that I do a breath test to confirm that H-pylori is eliminated, range of other stool test and Complete Blood profile and gave me the below medications:
1. Mebeverine Hydrochloride 200mg
2. Rifaximin 200mg
3. Pro Biolyte
4. Simethicone pastilles 105.8mg

The results came and I tested positive for H-Pylori 697 DPM, Stool & Blood and urine tests came normal.
He said that this number for H-Pylori is very small and since I dont have major upper GI related issues, he asked me to continue with the above medication for 3 weeks then check with him.

Whats your opinion on the above medication?

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

700 dpm is high enough.
i am not sure if it is a good idea to continuously stimulate the H. pylori with rifaximin. Nevertheless, you cannot use it in your next round of H. pylori treatment.

perhaps you can ask your doctor about taking bismuth and PPI in the same time. Maybe that will get rid of the H. pylori.

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms 疾病与症状”