Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

Anyone have weight loss with HP?

The various unpleasant manifestations of Helicobacter can be described here. Remember however that the great majority of persons with Hp have no symptoms that they are aware of and consider themselves normal.

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Seriphan

Anyone have weight loss with HP?

Post by Seriphan »

Hey everyone,

I’m 28
Used to weight 200lbs
6’4
Never drink, smoke, do drugs and never take medication of any kind. Before I got sick I was living perfectly healthy life. Rarely got sick.

I’ve been sick with H Pylori chronic gastritis since March 2020 but it went undiagnosed until recently. I did a test called GI Map which showed positive for h pylori and that confirmed my suspicion all along since my symptoms match H Pylori almost to a tee.

My symptoms since March 2020
- upper left abdominal pain that’s chronic
- lack of appetite
- early satiety
- nausea but haven’t thrown up
- weight loss (lost 40lbs)
- burping constantly
- terrible anxiety
- coated tongue
- heart palpitations

A big symptom that really bothers me is the weight loss. I’ve lost 40 lbs since being sick for 8 months. I’ve had to really limit my diet because this h pylori affects my stomach to the point where I’m only basically eating bananas and soups now. I was doing better in the summer but with a recent gastritis flare up the end of October, I literally couldn’t eat anything and it sent me in the hospital where they did an endoscopy and showed chronic mild gastritis. Biopsy showed negative for HP but that was to be expected since I was on a PPI and that effects the accuracy of the test. I’m pretty much certain HP is the culprit here at this point. They ran literally every other test possible to rule everything else out since I’ve been sick. CAT Scans, colonoscopy, blood work ect all comes back clear.

I’m at my wits end so I called my doctor and told him let’s just try the antibiotic since I’m certain of what I have at this point based on my symptoms and he agreed since my gi map did show positive for h pylori.

Sorry for the tangent. I just wanted to give some background.

Is my kind of weight loss to be expected being sick with this bug for as long as I have? Any similar stories to mine?

When I weigh myself everyday my anxiety gets so bad. I just feel my body is wasting away.

Thanks
Vince

arthursocal1

Re: Anyone have weight loss with HP?

Post by arthursocal1 »

Hello Vince,

Thanks for sharing. Yes, I have experienced weight loss with HP. Still am. I'm 34 and used to weigh close to 200 as well. Since being diagnosed with HP back in July 2020, I'm now at 179lbs. I'm down to soups, jello, and smoothies I make myself. I was never one to NOT have an appetite so this is easily the worse symptom to deal with for me. It feels like torture. I also share a lot of your symptoms.

Are you currently on treatment or are you done? I waited close to 3 months before starting my quad therapy treatment (Tetracycline, Metronidazole, Omeprazole, and Bismuth) because I knew how strong those antibiotics were going to be. My treatment ended four weeks ago and I honestly worse now than before the treatment. Don't fret though, this could just be me. I honestly believe it's not gone and will know in the next couple of days.

What has your doctor told you about the weight loss? My doctor told me to just eat foods I can handle at the moment and when I start to improve I can eat more foods and gain some of the weight back. By chance, are you dealing with other symptoms due to the lack of eating? I know I feel less energized and lacking quite a few nutrients.

Wishing you the best and full recovery soon!

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

before you get any treatment, you should get a proper diagnosis of H. pylori via breath/stool test.
GI map is not in the guideline and may produce false positive results.

Seriphan

Post by Seriphan »

Arthursocal1 - I haven’t started treatment yet besides some natural remedy here and there but nothing intense. But yeah before I had this recent flare up about over a month ago the end of October I lost another 15 lbs which brought me to a total of 40 lbs lost. Before that I was sitting at 185-ish lbs.

Helico_expert - I understand the need for a conventional test showing a positive for h pylori but at this point I don’t see that happening. There are supplements that I’m on that I can’t be off of otherwise I get very sick, like probiotics namely the biggest one which I’ve heard from multiple sources, affects the test accuracy of the h pylori tests because it reduces the colonies. My best bet, and the only test I haven’t done so far, is the blood test. The original test I did while I was off everything for only 2 weeks was the stool antigen which showed negative. The breath (which I believe the people at the lab actually messed my test up because they clearly had no idea what they were doing) and endoscopy weren’t accurate because I was on PPIs and probiotics during the time of those tests. I’ve been sick now for 9 months waiting for tests and I’m at the point where I’m pretty much certain of what I have.

My biggest question would be, what else could cause chronic gastritis in the antrum of the stomach and these very specific symptoms that I have? I never ever take NSAIDS, I don’t ever drink or do drugs. I eat very healthy. I’ve never been sick like this in my entire life especially for this long. All other problems have basically been ruled out. The only problem they found which was through endoscopy was chronic gastritis. And my liver was slightly enlarged. Which even before the endoscopy I knew I had gastritis based on my symptoms. How could the GI Map show false positive? If the h pylori is there it’s there no? Especially if one is presenting h pylori symptoms?
Last edited by Seriphan on Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plotun

Post by Plotun »

Try to take H2 blockers for two weeks and then do UBT/stool test again. Make sure to get off H2 blockers day before the test.

Probiotics don't affect the accuracy of UBT/stool tests. H.pylori is located in the stomach, while probiotics do their job in the gut.

Seriphan

Post by Seriphan »

Plotun wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm
Try to take H2 blockers for two weeks and then do UBT/stool test again. Make sure to get off H2 blockers day before the test.

Probiotics don't affect the accuracy of UBT/stool tests. H.pylori is located in the stomach, while probiotics do their job in the gut.
I’ve been hearing from multiple sources that probiotics reduce the h pylori colonies leading to false negatives in the testing.

Plotun

Post by Plotun »

Seriphan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:02 pm
Plotun wrote:

I’ve been hearing from multiple sources that probiotics reduce the h pylori colonies leading to false negatives in the testing.
Could you post those sources? I don't think that probiotics have impact on the UBT and stool test. If you carefully read procedures before every UBT/stool test, there's no information regarding probiotics impact on the accuracy of the test.

Seriphan

Post by Seriphan »

Plotun wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:26 pm
Seriphan wrote:
Plotun wrote:

Could you post those sources? I don't think that probiotics have impact on the UBT and stool test. If you carefully read procedures before every UBT/stool test, there's no information regarding probiotics impact on the accuracy of the test.
Here is one source: https://loyolamedicine.org/sites/defaul ... t-form.pdf

Plotun

Post by Plotun »

Seriphan wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:45 am
Plotun wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:26 pm
Seriphan wrote:

Here is one source: https://loyolamedicine.org/sites/defaul ... t-form.pdf
This is nonsense, there's a variety everyday consumed food that contain probiotics. You can't avoid probiotics intake, maybe if you eat only processed food.

TinaSF

Post by TinaSF »

Yes, ive had weight loss from h pylori. Ive lost 25 lbs since getting infected with h pylori in mid March.
I drink fruit smoothies, blended vegetable soups, and cream of wheat or oatmeal for my daily food consumption. I have had to eliminate a lot of different foods due to the bacteria like milk, cheese, red meat, citrus fruits, tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc. The list goes on.
I have esophagitis but thats another story. I have noticed that blending food helps with burping and belching. Its easier for your stomach to digest food when its blended.

Return to “Diseases and Symptoms 疾病与症状”