Page 1 of 1

What should I do?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 am
by Graph
On Thurday April 19 my general physician blood tested me for H Pylori.

I got the results on Monday April 23....

Component Your Value Standard Range
H. pylori Ab, IgA 12.3 units 0.0 - 8.9 units

Negative <9.0
Equivocal 9.0 - 11.0
Positive >11.0

With that result the general physician gave me a prescription for...
Metronidazole 500mg tablet - 1 tablet 3 times a day for 14 days
Clarithromycin 500 mg tablet - 1 tablet 2 times a day for 14 days
Omeprazole 20 mg capsule - 1 capsule for 14 days

I started the Clarithromycin that Monday evening and then the Metronidazole before bed. I started the Omeprazole the following morning.

Over the course of the week I was progressively getting the feeling that my heart was pounding hard and I was getting extreme anxiety.

I went to the Emergency Room on Friday April 27. They hooked me up to an EKG and said my heart was fine although my blood pressure was a little high and my pulse was in the 90's. I felt pretty good for the rest of that day, and also on Saturday April 28

Then on Sunday April 29 the anxiety and heart pounding were really strong and I just decided to stop all medicines after the morning dose of all three.

On Monday April 30 I didnt have any heart pounding or anxiety.
On Tuesday May 1 I didnt have any heart pouding but did have a little anxiety but not as bad as when I was on the medicine.

Do you think H Pylori was eradicated in the 5 full days + 2 half days I took the medicine?

Was stopping the medicine the wrong thing to do? Should I start it again and see if symptoms return? I have been off of it for 2.5 days.

Are palpitations and anxiety common for these three medicines?

I am scheduled for an upper endoscopy on June 1.

How would you proceed?

Thanks for your help.

Re: What should I do?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:13 am
by Helico_expert
I would do another breath test to find out if the HP is eradicated. But of course, the endoscopy will give better understanding of your stomach condition.

Re: What should I do?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:48 am
by Graph
Thanks for the quick response.

They never breath or stool tested me. The general physician made the diagnosis on blood test alone.

I saw the gastroenterologist the same day I got the blood results. The gastro said to go ahead with the presciption of meds and schedule an endoscopy for a month after to see how I'm doing. (So gastro didnt do any breath or stool testing either)

I guess I'm ok with going ahead with the endoscopy.

Should I take pepto tablets or anything else to increase my chances?


Re: What should I do?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:48 pm
by Helico_expert
yup. you can take pepto bismol to boost the cure rate.

how much PPI are you taking? you can take double the standard dose to boost cure rate too.