Only registered users are allowed to post. To register, please click here

Should you have any problem in posting, registering, or login, please do not hesitate to contact the admin at Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com. In the subject, please use "Help needed for www.helico.com"

Advertisement is not allowed. While we encourage discussion, please try not to promote your website, goods, or unproven treatment here.

This is a non-profit website. We will try our best to help anyone that has question about H. pylori and their treatment. We shall provide the most accurate answer about H. pylori. You can help us by clicking here to keep this forum alive.

Some useful guides
How to post in the forum?
Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report
The 5th Chinese Helicobacter treatment consensus
How long should I wait before doing follow up breath/stool test?

If you are confirmed with H. pylori, in your convenient time, please help us with the symptoms survey that you are experiencing.
Symptoms survey
(contributed by frostyfeet)

此网站免费然您阅读。若想分享心得或提问,请先注册
若有困难注册,请联络站长 Marshall.centre(at)gmail(dot)com。标题请用 "Help needed for www.helico.com"
此网站不允许打广告。我们欢迎任何的讨论。但尽量不要推销没医学根据的网站,商品或治疗方案。
此网站是非盈利网站。我们会尽最大能力提供任何有关幽门螺杆菌的讯息。您的捐款可以让我们继续帮助更多的病人。

指南
如何贴文?
欧洲幽门螺杆菌治疗共识 5
第五次全国幽门螺杆菌感染处理共识报告
用药后,多久以后可以再做吹气测试?

What should I do?

Blood tests (for antibody) are used to screen for H.pylori. They remain positive for many months after treatment so can only be used as the initial test. Urine antibody is a "pregnanacy style" urine test. Accuracy is slightly less than blood tests. A negative blood test is good evidence that Hp is NOT present. Use it to exclude the diagnosis (but no test is 100% perfect remember).

Moderators: barjammar, Toni

Graph

What should I do?

Post by Graph »

On Thurday April 19 my general physician blood tested me for H Pylori.

I got the results on Monday April 23....

Component Your Value Standard Range
H. pylori Ab, IgA 12.3 units 0.0 - 8.9 units

Negative <9.0
Equivocal 9.0 - 11.0
Positive >11.0

With that result the general physician gave me a prescription for...
Metronidazole 500mg tablet - 1 tablet 3 times a day for 14 days
Clarithromycin 500 mg tablet - 1 tablet 2 times a day for 14 days
Omeprazole 20 mg capsule - 1 capsule for 14 days

I started the Clarithromycin that Monday evening and then the Metronidazole before bed. I started the Omeprazole the following morning.

Over the course of the week I was progressively getting the feeling that my heart was pounding hard and I was getting extreme anxiety.

I went to the Emergency Room on Friday April 27. They hooked me up to an EKG and said my heart was fine although my blood pressure was a little high and my pulse was in the 90's. I felt pretty good for the rest of that day, and also on Saturday April 28

Then on Sunday April 29 the anxiety and heart pounding were really strong and I just decided to stop all medicines after the morning dose of all three.

On Monday April 30 I didnt have any heart pounding or anxiety.
On Tuesday May 1 I didnt have any heart pouding but did have a little anxiety but not as bad as when I was on the medicine.

Do you think H Pylori was eradicated in the 5 full days + 2 half days I took the medicine?

Was stopping the medicine the wrong thing to do? Should I start it again and see if symptoms return? I have been off of it for 2.5 days.

Are palpitations and anxiety common for these three medicines?

I am scheduled for an upper endoscopy on June 1.

How would you proceed?

Thanks for your help.

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Re: What should I do?

Post by Helico_expert »

I would do another breath test to find out if the HP is eradicated. But of course, the endoscopy will give better understanding of your stomach condition.

Graph

Post by Graph »

Thanks for the quick response.

They never breath or stool tested me. The general physician made the diagnosis on blood test alone.

I saw the gastroenterologist the same day I got the blood results. The gastro said to go ahead with the presciption of meds and schedule an endoscopy for a month after to see how I'm doing. (So gastro didnt do any breath or stool testing either)

I guess I'm ok with going ahead with the endoscopy.

Should I take pepto tablets or anything else to increase my chances?

Thanks

Helico_expert
Site Admin

Post by Helico_expert »

yup. you can take pepto bismol to boost the cure rate.

how much PPI are you taking? you can take double the standard dose to boost cure rate too.

Return to “Antibody type Tests (blood or urine antibody)”